Author Topic: BSAOC future .  (Read 4264 times)

Singleton

BSAOC future .
« on: 21 December, 2017, 21:19:30 »
Hi
Being part of the owners club is great lots of knowledge and tips on various subjects.
My question is what are the different branches and the main club doing about encouraging younger BAD owners to join the club or even those who are already members to be more active.
Thoughts and ideas will make interesting reading.

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: BSAOC future .
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2017, 10:59:19 »
Hi Calvin, the membership has been increasing steadily since I took over as Editor some 6 years ago. It was around 2500 then and it's now just under 3500. I don't know how we can encourage younger people to join as a) it means them investing in relatively expensive classic bikes and b) the main reasons we older members ride and restore them is because we have experienced them since our youth and we want to keep reminding ourselves of the good times?
Anyone else got any suggestions?
Regarding the branches, maybe we ought to encourage the formation of groups in areas which aren't readily served by a Branch or Group. They did this in Dorset a year or so ago and it took off with resounding success. But, we need people in those areas, to get together and start these up.
Chris

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:39:34 »
calvin

What answer do you give to your own question and what do you, as an individual plan to contribute?

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2017, 15:00:18 »
I have heard that in twenty years time all petrol & diesel engines are being banned, so petrol will not be required.
What will vintage vehicles use for fuel ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2017, 15:56:35 »
Hi Roy. I think they want to phase out production of petrol engines by then, no doubt there will be a generous overlap for billions of pounds worth of classic machines out there. There were petrol stations about a few years ago still selling 4**** leaded fuel. These were listed on a data base found on Google and it was not that long ago.

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2017, 17:27:59 »
yeh, lets get rid of all diesel and petrol vehicles and have electric tanks and troop transporters instead. hand over eurpean dominance to the red army on a plate. all the millions of jobs lost in transport can be blamed on brexit. robots are now the future . so who is deciding for us. russian cyber attacks?

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2017, 17:45:14 »
Hi,
     I've sourced some flux capacitors for my bikes, cant wait to fit them for the summer.

Interestingly the stone age, bronze age and iron age have passed and there are still stones, bronze and iron. I guess the oil age will go but there will still be oil.

Best wishes...
« Last Edit: 22 December, 2017, 17:49:15 by Bess »

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2017, 17:48:56 »
That's it, Back to the future  ;D

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2017, 19:24:12 »
 8)
Unfortunately the Russian army could probably walk through anyway. Can you actually imagine a realistic multi national defence strategy.
Nope. neither can I. But that's not what we are here for.

Have a good one and enjoy all you have.

happy happy.

Mike

abell

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December, 2017, 16:26:29 »
I don't believe you will encourage younger people to join.yes you will get some but not many.like you Calvin I've just joined I'm 53 but I bet there's very very few in there 20s joining .The realaltiy is there just not intrested the world has moved on.I come from  a aviation back ground  it's the same there I starting flying when I was 24 there were lots of people in there 20s learning to fly not anymore a part from as a career. All I see when I fly somewhere are the same people same faces just 30 years older. It's the same in model aircraft ,steam engines etc.sad but true. I  also think you will see a decline in classic bike values in the next 10 to 15 years as people die off the market will become flooded.yes there will always be a market but not in the numbers we see now.it's my opinion agree or not .Happy Christmas and new year everyone

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #10 on: 23 December, 2017, 17:17:20 »
Must agree there. How many kids get Meccano for Christmas? No more budding engineers and bike tinkerers out there. I can certainly see values plummeting for run of the mill classics. As my generation dies off, the markets will be flooded. How many bikes does the average older git have? 7 if I remember from the survey. At least one or two of mine have an assured future having produced a couple of biking sons.     

Singleton

« Reply #11 on: 23 December, 2017, 21:50:16 »
I am glad that membership has increased over that few year's. As a Bsaoc member I happy to help in any way I can to encourage others to join.
But as the older generation get older they are becoming less and less and a lot of their knowledge will go with them.
Sadly in 2017 there are less people wanting to ride motorcycles when they have a modern car with all mod cons.
As to recruiting  new members .
There are lots of auto jumble around the country were local branches could have a stall and hopefully get some new members.
Social media is being under used . Not many branches use the likes of Facebook.

GLENN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 December, 2017, 22:59:41 »
I think that things will be fine  :) and the future is bright  8)

I'm just turning 40 this year.  I joined the owners club when I was in my teens, back in the early 90's, bought my first B31 Rigid back in '94 after saving my money from part time jobs.  My Father or brother had no interest in old bikes, nor had any of my friends when I was young so the interest was not nurtured.  From an early age I just liked the look of the bikes, the smell, the stance, the height, comfort, the sound, the torque and the slow revs.  I like the rigid frames and the girder forks particularly and although I'm no longer "young" I still am younger than some others.  I want to buy a Round Tank, a flat tank and a 30's sports bike which I will look after and pass on to other generations but the same thing that's keeping me from buying them is keeping my friends from buying M20's/B33's/Goldflash etc...price and availability!  Ever look at ebay and see some of the totally overpriced "projects" that are being sold?  Do you thin that someone who gives over 2 grand for a Bantam project will ultimately have a good experience in the old bike scene?  I mean I like my D1, but I didn't buy it for more than my M20.  The benefit of bantams was that they were cheap and easy to work on so that people could learn, the sooner they get back to a price that makes them easier to become an everyman's entry level model the better it will be for the whole BSA community. 

Mind  you, although I trained and worked as a mechanic and later in body work, then later on studied and completed a degree in mechanical engineering I still lack the practical engineering skills that some of the older guys I have know have had.  I'm willing to learn if anyone wants to pass these skills on  :D

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 December, 2017, 09:44:18 »
Hi Glenn,
            Good comment  :).

My story, I was going to sell my machine and parts and buy a modern bike, my son offered to buy the lot. He said as he grew up and watched me build and didn't want anyone else owning them. I had enough spares to build 2 A65's, so I agreed to keep them, bequeath them, if we build a A65 each, together and that's what we have done. 10K later (5K per bike, he paid for his) he now has his own A65, the knowledge, ability to build and maintain classic bikes. We are joint members of the club and intend to continue, unfortunately Devon doesn't have a branch but has the best roads and views in the world.

I know he will keep and ride the bikes, he is under 30 and hopefully the bikes will live on. He is so happy that he has the ability that hes is looking for a B33 to build, any condition and like Glen says at a realistic price?

Best wishes, happy Christmas and ride safe...............

Singleton

« Reply #14 on: 24 December, 2017, 10:47:16 »
Bess.
Could you not start your own branch in Devon.
I wonder if something could be printed in the star to see how many owners down your way would come along if one was set up.