Author Topic: DVLA Woes  (Read 4109 times)

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
  • Dandy Beagle D14 C15 B40 B40WD B44 B25 B50 A10 A65
    • View Profile
DVLA Woes
« on: 13 December, 2017, 17:47:18 »
My B40WD was first registered in 1982 but, for some reason, only the serial number was recorded on the V5C for the engine and frame numbers - both numbers match but are missing the model designation, namely, B40GB signifying that it was originally issued to the army.

I tried to persuade the DVLA to add B40GB on the front of each number but they insisted on being shown proof that this was how the bike left the factory. In the end I decided to try and do this via a Dating Certificate from the BSAOC.

I sent the letter and Dating Certificate to the DVLA by recorded delivery and noted that it was recorded as having been delivered on 2 Nov. Today, having waited 6 weeks, I phoned the DVLA up to find out what was holding up my amended V5C. They told me the letter and Dating Certificate had not arrived!

Counter to what might have been expected, it was actually the Royal Mail sorting office in Swansea who signed for the letter, presumably on behalf of the DVLA. It then got lost between the sorting office and the DVLA. There's a small chance that they might find the letter from the tracking information but I have decided to start the whole process again with another Dating Certificate from the BSAOC.

The moral of the story is: don't send documents by recorded delivery to the DVLA - it will not confirm that they have got the documents and, by adding an extra step in the delivery process, might actually increase the risk of it getting lost in the post. My approach in future will be to send any documents by 1st class post and then phone them up a few days later to confirm they got it.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: DVLA Woes
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:20:40 »
 :) :)

Additional moral---------------If you have a legal V5C let sleeping dogs lie. Forget DVLA You have exactly what they sent to out originally.

Mike 8) 8)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2017, 16:51:05 »
Most sorting offices have a DVLA pouch according to a postie I know which is apparently secure.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2017, 17:48:11 »
Most sorting offices have a DVLA pouch according to a postie I know which is apparently secure.
As indicated, I suspect I upset the normal reliable means of delivering post to the DVLA by getting someone at the sorting office in Swansea to sign for it >:(

Mike, you're right - it doesn't really matter to me in one sense whether DVLA amend the V5C or not - the bike is perfectly legal already. However, I'm determined to get the DVLA to amend the V5C and definitely won't be put off by all the onstacles they appear to be throwing in the way :)

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2017, 18:34:10 »
Some years ago I ran a Suzuki Burgman 200  (Im ok now though  :-\ ) and always used the same MOT tester. One year he spotted that the frame number didnt match what the DVLA had recorded. It was obviously a typo/misreading of the frame number - I cant recall what it was now, but he was able to update it on the MOT system and a week or so later I was sent a replacement V5 with the correct number.
Id not checked it as I knew the previous owner and hed bought the bike new - and the number was stamped in such a difficult place to get at.
In reality, Im with Mike on this one though. Leave the dogs to sleep  ;)

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December, 2017, 20:01:27 »
 :)
Hi Whist I would stop the dealing on this issue. I fully understand the stance that you have taken and applaud it. I wish you the very best of luck.

Suggest you write to the
CEO DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA.

You can get his name from the DVLA website. I cant remember it offhand. Probably wont make any difference but it will shove a bit of hassle back at them.

Mike 8) 8)

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2017, 10:59:20 »
I guess the main concern I have on this issue is that, although I have no intention of getting an MOT for the B40WD at this stage, I might get problems in the future. Basically, if the MOT tester checks the frame number against the DVLA online data, they will find they do not match - half the number is missing from the V5C. I'm sure I could persuade my local friendly MOT tester that a mistake was made when the bike was first registered but I would prefer to sort the problem out now.

In addition, if I was to try to sell this fully restored B40WD to a knowledgeable buyer in the future, the wrongly recorded frame number might be a big issue to them. The bike is also recorded as being built in 1966 on the V5C, whereas, it was actually one of the last built in 1969 - again, this wrongly recorded data might be an issue to a potential knowledgeable buyer. For all these reasons, and because I have a fundamental dislike of being messed around by civil servants having worked for the MOD for 20 years, I intend to get the DVLA to properly amend the V5C. Will let you know how I get on ;D

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2017, 16:07:41 »
I agree, my Royal Star has both Frame and Engine nos wrongly typed as PD **** AS0R on the V5C clearly a typo error. I like everything correct and above board so contacted the DVLA and the guy was very helpful. Told me to send the V5C with a letter detailing changes required and some evidence of the correct nos. so I will take photos and rubbings of both, when I can get round to it, and hope for the best.
Chris

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2017, 23:57:26 »
I guess the main concern I have on this issue is that, although I have no intention of getting an MOT for the B40WD at this stage, I might get problems in the future. Basically, if the MOT tester checks the frame number against the DVLA online data, they will find they do not match - half the number is missing from the V5C. I'm sure I could persuade my local friendly MOT tester that a mistake was made when the bike was first registered but I would prefer to sort the problem out now.

In addition, if I was to try to sell this fully restored B40WD to a knowledgeable buyer in the future, the wrongly recorded frame number might be a big issue to them. The bike is also recorded as being built in 1966 on the V5C, whereas, it was actually one of the last built in 1969 - again, this wrongly recorded data might be an issue to a potential knowledgeable buyer. For all these reasons, and because I have a fundamental dislike of being messed around by civil servants having worked for the MOD for 20 years, I intend to get the DVLA to properly amend the V5C. Will let you know how I get on ;D

i don't think you should waste your time.

if the documents match the numbers its not worth the bother!

regards

derek

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2017, 07:09:53 »
I'm presently waiting for another set of Dating Certificates so that I can start the whole process off again. In the meantime, I thought I'd a least get some compensation from the Post Office for loosing my original DVLA application and Dating Certificate. This was easily done and at least they apologised for what had happened although this was a relatively small compensation.

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 December, 2017, 13:59:18 »
A new set of Dating/Vehicle Certificates arrived today and I'm grateful to Steve Foden for supplying these with a very short turnaround. I've now got enough to ensure that there's a reasonable chance that Royal Mail will deliver at least one safely to the DVLA and not loose it on the way >:(

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:39:33 »
Finally got the details changed on the V5C for my B40WD. Apart from recording the year of manufacture wrongly, the original V5C missed off the model designation (B40GB) from both the frame and engine numbers. DVLA wouldn't simply amend them and insisted on a Dating Certificate confirming the original bikes details.

The first Dating Certificate was sent by recorded delivery but never reached DVLA. The second Dating Certificate was sent by first class mail - this also didn't reach DVLA. Fortunately, the third Dating Certificate did manage to get through and the V5C details were then changed as requested.

I'm not sure what lessons can be learned from this undertaking other than not to give up. However, next time I want DVLA to do something for me, I might well think about delivering the letter by hand especially if it involves important documents that can't be replaced>:(

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2018, 16:25:49 »
Congratulations Thumper! You have more persistance than me. I could find the energy to do battle with the DVLA when I was trying to get my V5 corrected.
Please think of me as I now embark on the process of getting a V5 for my latest BSA after loads of time and money spent on  refurbishing it  ::)
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

AWJDThumper

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January, 2018, 17:35:04 »
None of my dealings with the DVLA have been particularly straightforward and a Dating Certificate or Vehicle Report has always been required at the end of the day irrespective of what has been asked of them. However, I'm bloody minded enough not to take no for an answer and will tend to persist until they finally capitulate. Good luck with your application ;)

BILL NELSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2018, 18:49:07 »
I got a Special Delivery letter back via "lost Mail sorting" in Belfast after 4 months. I'd claimed from Royal Mail as it had been a very important work document. I got the fee back and a book of 12 1st class stamps as compo after a few weeks "normal" delay.