Author Topic: More ebay fraud.  (Read 4000 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
More ebay fraud.
« on: 21 November, 2017, 15:51:52 »
Some chap has just parted with £2999 to buy a lambretta off ebay from the daily fraudster. He swallowed a story and parted with the cash via a transfer. Some mothers do have them. BSA frauds on there every day of the week, be careful lads.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: More ebay fraud.
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2017, 19:10:34 »
 :)
Its a sorry state of affairs and appears as bad as ever. Its very difficult to know how to deal with it. Something like that I think you either do cash on collection or Paypal.(I don't actually mind paying a bit extra to cover the Paypal transaction) Certainly parting with cash unseen is maybe not the best way to go.

But I must confess to not having a clue how to deal with it, and Ebay don't appear to be in the slightest interested. Fraid its a case of you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

Mike 8) 8)

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2017, 20:22:12 »
As Mike says, always go PayPal or cash on collection.
When I purchased my BSA off ebay, I paid cash on collection.
Roy,
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

Steve Tipper

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2017, 23:07:19 »
I haven't had the time to read through all the small print myself  (who has?)
But I believe that complete vehicles are  not covered by the Paypal money back guarantee scheme.
Beware

ROYC

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2017, 06:40:07 »
I haven't had the time to read through all the small print myself  (who has?)
But I believe that complete vehicles are  not covered by the Paypal money back guarantee scheme.
Beware

Cash on collection then  ;D
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2017, 09:14:51 »
Hi :)

I have no idea whether its covered or not. However it should be somehow possible to set up an "escrow" system. You pay your money to a registered third party who holds it until you actually have the goods. Once you are happy with the purchase then and only then they pass on the money. I believe that they also take responsibility for the return of goods. THat is you wont get your money back until goods are satisfactorily received by the sender.

Its used a lot in certain parts but whether its available in UK-------no idea. I shall look into it. Of course as with paypal there is a percentage handling charge.

Mike 8)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2017, 15:01:29 »
The thing is with these scams, the vehicle is not offered for sale, just a fraudulent add. To sum it up, if you can't touch the vehicle don't part with the money. 

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November, 2017, 15:25:51 »
That says it all 8)

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November, 2017, 22:22:45 »
A pal of mine sent me a screen shot earlier - of my 1952 Golden Flash listed on ebay for £3500  ??? The pics must've been saved from a previous sale as I don't recognise the background and the bike looks more than a little different now. The listing had already disappeared by the time I knew about it. Wish I could've bought it at that price  ;)

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

griffo

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 November, 2017, 17:55:39 »
I find the easiest way is to do a bank ttransfer after you have seen te goods. Worked quite well for me so far... Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 November, 2017, 17:43:46 »
He has just downloaded about 60 motors and bikes. feel free to report a few. Look at BSA first. 17.30 today.

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 November, 2017, 18:49:17 »
I was on Ebay's chat thing last night reporting a batch - in particular my GF which was listed yet again - down to £3000 this time  :o It was obviously a hacked users account because they had a few genuine, totally non-motor related items listed in addition to the 50 or so assorted classic cars and bikes.
Whilst ebay took down the listings straight away, I got the impression that it was not of any great concern to them. They certainly wouldn't confirm that they were making any attempt to trace the individual/s, nor to block any listing with an email address in the text. I found that surprising as when I sent a message to the buyer of an outboard engine that I listed, which was sold prior to that message being sent,  and included my phone number to arrange collection they threatened to block my account for trying to sell outside ebay  >:( They obviously have filters that can recognise telephone numbers etc so it should be a simple matter for their filters to pick up unusual email addresses and phrases like 'selling on behalf of a friend' which appears in them.

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 December, 2017, 17:04:53 »
I reported one which was up for £2200 yesterday and its gone now.
There is another one on there now, a peach with a buy it now price of £3000. No details, selling on behalf of a friend, for details contact is an email address in the sub-title. All very suspicious!
I cant be bothered to report this one as well.
Chris

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 December, 2017, 17:15:09 »
He just listed a load more today. Just report one and ebay will take the lot off, till tomorrow.