Author Topic: LED h/light conversion  (Read 234 times)

BARNFIELD

• Star
    • View Profile
LED h/light conversion
« on: 28 November, 2017, 11:10:02 »
Have been advised to use an LED dip/main headlight bulb as S/Rocket has been upped to 12v, and coupled with electronic ignition has caused the E3L dynamo to fail.The LED bulb will use considerably less power than a conventional bulb and give the refurbed dynamo an easier life. Can anyone give advice on which LED to use. H4,H6,20w/40w. Does it require a resistor of some sort?. It all gets a bit confusing to the uninitiated (me!). All replies gratefully received. Greg.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: LED h/light conversion
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2017, 13:40:52 »
Will depend on what headlight unit you have and on the space within the unit.

H4 LED usually have some sort of heat sink which takes extra space.

You could consider a low wattage HS1 bulb which will fit in place of an H4 if the top mounting of the bulb is thinned a bit. 35/35 watt Osram night racer.

I did try a BPF type LED whic was a disaster - dipped beam too low.

ROYC

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2017, 18:25:00 »
Have been advised to use an LED dip/main headlight bulb as S/Rocket has been upped to 12v, and coupled with electronic ignition has caused the E3L dynamo to fail.The LED bulb will use considerably less power than a conventional bulb and give the refurbed dynamo an easier life. Can anyone give advice on which LED to use. H4,H6,20w/40w. Does it require a resistor of some sort?. It all gets a bit confusing to the uninitiated (me!). All replies gratefully received. Greg.
Have a look on Paul Goff's site  -  http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffylighting.htm   
I changed my 12v system for one of these  NEW SPECIAL OFFER 4  12v LED.
Roy.
« Last Edit: 28 November, 2017, 18:27:32 by ROYC »
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

RoadRocket

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2017, 17:50:58 »
These look and interesting option: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-CSP-H4-Hi-Lo-Lumileds-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Kit-4000-Lumens-36W-Canbus/382078800411?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

To help get the right beam the position of the bulb can be adjusted in the reflector.  Have purchased then but not yet fitted them.  I don't find 35W bright enough when battling against modern car headlights.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2017, 07:02:56 »
Much depends on how you did your 12v conversion. If you take a standard 6v E3L and use a 12v regulator it will work but in my experience with prolonged night riding the commutator soldering can fail, as happened on the A10 more than once. The A10 has reverted to 6v and is actually pretty good at night. The 12v conversion on my Star Twin uses a 12v field coil and armature and has been completely trouble-free.  All my bikes now have LED stop/tail bulbs but I have stuck to BPF headlight bulbs. Even my Velocette with its somewhat poxy 6V 40W Miller dynamo is fine at night with as 30/24 BPF headlight and a LED tail light.     

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2017, 09:32:44 »
Experience with 12 volt conversions vary significntly.My own started back in 1976 when the JG units were first sold by Dave Lindsley.

Used with the standard 6 volt dynamo with a slight change to the connections of field coil and brushes.

For years ran a 55/60 watt H4 bulb and commuted to shift work on country roads. Had to change brushes and bearings several times and 2 armatures.

The unit failed in 2010 after 24 years. Dynamo commutator solder melted. Replaced unit with another and obviously changed the broken bits..

Now using  LED bulbs in rear. speedo and tacho with a 35/35 HS1 Osram night racer up front. These provide significantly more light than the cheaper 35/35 and 45/45 bulbs available. Dynamo has an easier life now no longer commuting in the dark.

BARNFIELD

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2017, 19:03:10 »
Thanks all for your input. Bike had 12v conversion already done when i purchased it recently. Was running a 6v E3L with a 12v CMES solid state rect/reg. and Lucas Rita ignition, which, apparently, consumes more power than most other Electronic ign. systems. The dynamo is currently with Armoto in Sheffield, who recommended having the armature rewound for 12v. Watch this space, but not for a few weeks!!!

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2017, 07:30:33 »
You really need that armature rewound for 12 volts. And why not a 12 Volt field coil while you are at it? The E3L weak point in these circumstances is the soft soldered commutator. A decent 12 v armature should have silver soldered commutator connections.