Author Topic: B44 gearbox leak  (Read 266 times)

• Star
    • View Profile
B44 gearbox leak
« on: 13 December, 2017, 16:07:01 »
I rebuilt my B44 motor last winter to try and eliminate a chronic leak. I carefully 'painted' both mating halves of the cases with Wellseal, and buttoned it back up.

The engine oil issue seems to have disappeared, but whenever I put in my half pint of oil into the gearbox, within three or four days it has leaked out onto the garage floor. I have spent too much time laying on the garage floor trying to figure out where the oil is coming from, but I can only see the oil on the lowest parts of the motor, and not a source.

Any idea where gearbox oil seeps from? I'm putting it back up onto the bench to have another go at it, but right now I'm not all that confident that I'll find the wellspring of my oil...

Thanks for any help you might provide.

• Empire Star
    • View Profile
Re: B44 gearbox leak
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2017, 19:14:58 »
There's only a limited number of places it can leak out of the gearbox from - however, since it can creep along the bottom of the engine before dropping on to the floor, it can be difficult to determine the source. If wiping the bottom of the engine dry of oil before trying to see where it runs from doesn't work, you could try using a couple of lines of plumbers putty or plasticine fixed to the bottom of the engine to force any oil that might leak out near the gearbox sprocket or from the inner or outer timing covers to drip down before it gets to the middle of the engine. That might then isolate where the oil leak is originating.