Author Topic: A65 swingarm bush removal  (Read 407 times)

DEREKANDERSON8

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
A65 swingarm bush removal
« on: 30 April, 2017, 19:26:57 »
any tips?

I have so far managed to get the inner bush out of 1 side and gave up, apart from brute force and ignorance is there an easier way to remove them?

yours in anticipation,

derek

DEREKANDERSON8

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: A65 swingarm bush removal
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2017, 12:56:48 »
Success ;D

It appears brute force is the best method, also got the new ones in with the threaded rod procedure.

Spitfighter

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2017, 11:53:44 »
If anyone wants a solution to this for removal of the silent bloc bushes I have a method that works learned from other more experienced souls...

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2017, 15:09:53 »
You need a man with a press, or a log splitter ( worked for mine 5 Ton ).  Heat can help and hot and cold in reverse.

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2017, 15:33:19 »
Hi  :)
What I do is this.

First burn/melt out the inner and try to get all the rubber bits out as well.

Now weld a lump of steel into the very end of the outer/stuck part. Heat it and with a long drift up against your welded steel from the opposite end---beat it out. Sometimes the welded bit will break off---so weld in another. The weld heat also helps.

It can still be a "B" but it works.

Mike 8) 8)

Caulky

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2017, 10:06:41 »
I bought a special tool, 61-6117 for my '71 A65L.
This removes and fits the bushes.
Don't know about other models/years?

Spitfighter

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2017, 10:56:26 »
Hi the method I was taught and have applied successfully is as follows.
Choose a metal drill bit wider than the width of rubber, but not quite as wide as the thickness of that and both inner and outer metal sleeves. I found something around 5mil worked.
The bit also needs to be as long as the outer sleeve if possible to get to the end of the rubber..
Drill three or better four (or even five) holes down the length of the bush, and in doing so you drill out part of the thickness of both sleeves.
With a slightly smaller bit you can then drill out as much of the rubber still adhering to both inner and outer, and inevitable do even more to weaken both sleeves. Obviously try not to damage the swing arm itself. I managed with only minor scratches to that.
There comes a point when enough rubber is drilled out that you can get something in to collapse the inner sleeve enough to get some mole grips on it. With a bit of riving about (if you have removed enough rubber by drilling) the inner sleeve comes loose and can be puled out.
The outer sleeve should also then be encouraged to collapse and loosen and pull out.
Not as smelly as burning it, and doesn't require welding skills...
Doesn't apply I think to the later kind of bushes not of the rubber type.

Caulky

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October, 2017, 12:18:15 »
So, we are not talking about "swinging arm bushes"
You are talking about metalastic suspension bushes, wish I'd known before. :(

JOHN KAY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November, 2017, 15:05:50 »
hi there,
what I do is burn out the rubber using a small blow torch then the inners  just pull out but to remove the outers what I do
is use a hacksaw blade lengthwise and cut a slot in the bush but not all the way thro then collapse it using a sharp punch
until you can get a small chisel or similar in works for me . regards john kay .