Author Topic: A65 fuel tanks  (Read 1981 times)

NickM

• Star
    • View Profile
A65 fuel tanks
« on: 06 November, 2017, 15:55:33 »
My recent purchase of a 67 Spitfire came with the wrong fuel tank. I need to sell this tank and buy the proper tank so I have a couple of questions. Can somebody tell me what the tank I have fits?

Also, Ive researched the proper 4/5 gallon tanks but I notice most are from India with very mixed reviews. As I can't weld I'm reluctant to buy from India. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: A65 fuel tanks
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2017, 19:24:39 »
That tank would fit the pre oil in the frame models from 1962 the Star Twin, Rocket, Thunderbolt etc., if it has the carb cutouts on the underside it would fit the Lightning. As for buying the correct tank for your bike there are only 2 Uk Dealers that I know of that supply tanks Burton Bike Bits  and Draganfly Motorcycles  but they are out of stock and have been for sometime now you could give them a ring and see if they are going to restock them. I agree buying from India does have potential problems I bought an Indian made tank for my A65 but had to send it back because of poor quality fortunately I had bought it from a UK dealer so a refund was no problem and that dealer no longer deals in Indian made tanks.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2017, 23:40:20 »
Hi,
    Is anyone getting the photobucket hosting instead of the normal image with this post?

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3205765/internet/photobucket-replaced-millions-of-images-with-ransom-demand.html

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2017, 07:50:37 »
yes nightmare! i have seen it elsewhere as well.

i saw the pics when the tank first went on and it looked a nice tank.

derek

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2017, 09:04:01 »
Hi,
    Just added this extension to chrome, to enable viewing:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/view-3rd-party-photobucke/ehoeoelfbhokhcialnddlcnapkocnael?hl=en-GB

Its handy for all the other sites having  the same issue.

Best wishes...

NickM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2017, 14:43:15 »
Thank you bikerbob, that's just the info I needed. I had already contacted Burton Bike Bits but they are having problems finding a new fabricator so nothing on the horizon from them. Gonna have to keep looking. 

Is the cut out you refer to for the Lightning carbs shown in the photo's below?

Apologies for the photo debacle, I've deleted my Photobucket account due to the hosting problem which seems to be common. Here's the photo's again via Postimage.

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2017, 16:51:23 »
HI there No that tank does not have cutouts for a Lightning the coyouts are either side of the petrol outlets. The lightning has twin carbs that is why the coutouts are required
« Last Edit: 07 November, 2017, 16:53:38 by bikerbob »

NickM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2017, 20:13:00 »
Ah, that makes sense, thanks again BB.

Nick.