General > The Star and Garter

Ethanol. What it does and how to fight it

(1/2) > >>

ROYC:
Mike Farmer suggests that I start a new topic on this issue.

Mike Farmer

Hi Roy:)

That is an extremely interesting read.

Might I suggest that you open a new topic just to give that a lot more prominence.  It could help a lot of people.

Thanks again

Mike 8) 8)

This is the article  -  http://www.johnsmotorcyclenews.co.uk/bike-tech/ethanol-its-impact-on-fuel-systems/ 

Roy.

Mike Farmer:
 :)

When I read this earlier I was almost astounded at my lack of knowledge. Things like "stale petrol" yeah so it happens. Now I understand why and what steps can be taken to counteract the effect to some degree. Etc

In my humble opinion its worth a read, but it is a long piece.

Mike 8) 8)

ROYC:

--- Quote from: Mike Farmer on 04 November, 2017, 13:52:46 --- :)

When I read this earlier I was almost astounded at my lack of knowledge. Things like "stale petrol" yeah so it happens. Now I understand why and what steps can be taken to counteract the effect to some degree. Etc

In my humble opinion its worth a read, but it is a long piece.

Mike 8) 8)

--- End quote ---

Since I read this article I have ordered a couple of the things mentioned.

Lucas 10576 Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers, and 

Millers Oils VSPe Power Plus Fuel Additive & Octane Booster - 500ml.

Roy.

bikerbob:
Ethanol has been added to petrol since 2012 at upto 5% level if it goes upto 10% then by law it has to be labeled on the fuel pumps. If you want to calculate the amont of ethanol in your petrol then there is a way to do it.
1.  place place 25ml of water into a clear measuring cylinder making w=25ml.
2.  pour 75ml of fuel sample into the same cylinder. making f=75ml.
3.  close the cylinder and shake it, set it upright and allow the solution to settle.
4.  the original volume of the bottom section w was25ml. once the solution has settled, there will be an increase in the volume of w by an amount (d). to determine the value d subtract 25 from the new level reading of w.
5. to determine the percentage of ethanol in the fuel sample divide d ( the volume difference in w) by f ( the amount of  original fuel sample ) and multiply by 100 ( the total amount of solution in the cylinder )

DEAN SOUTHALL:
You readily find fuel stabilisers at garden shops as its used when laying up garden equipment for the winter. I've been uding Briggs ans Stratton stabiliser  in the bikes for a few years now once they start spraeding raod salt. Brim your tank to prevent rust or drain it completely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version