The BSA Workshop > Twins

A65L Crankshaft welded sludge trap access

(1/4) > >>

Charles R:
A65L 1970 (last of oil-in-tank)

Has anyone seen this before?  See photo of welded up sludge trap access (yes I know, it's a bit rusty too, but one thing at a time!).
I can't understand why anyone would wish to weld up the entry point when it could simply have a threaded cap fitted (loctited if thought necessary).
Now I've got the problem of what to do about it.

There are three obvious options:
1. buy a replacement crankshaft - not easy & quite expensive even as a used item (would need regrinding, new shells, etc)
2. re-machine the hole and tap it (difficult alignment problem) - also quite expensive as expect it to take about 3 hours
3. ignore the weld and fit it as it is!  (I will be fitting a cartridge oil filter, so sludge should not be an issue.)

Any comments or suggestions?

Cheers, Charles

JulianS:
I would not advise option 3 - firstly you do not know what is already contained in the sludge trap and secondly you do not know if the oilway from the main bearing journal has not been blocked or restricted by the welding.

Charles R:
Thanks for the reply Julian.

I was intending to use a compressed air line to give it a good blow through after putting in some scavenging oil and letting it rest for a day or two.
After that I was going to set up a feed to the bushed bearing feed hole and see how freely the oil moves through to each big end.

BUT before all that I'm going to try and drill through the weld using tools in my shed.  I need to jury rig my bench drill press so it hangs over the bench then set up a solid table under it to give me the necessary clearance to hold the crankshaft under the drill bit.  Setting up will not be simple!

I still don't know why it was welded!

Cheers Charles

JulianS:
Sometimes the sludge build up is so hard it needs a drill or other mechanical means to move it, or so I have found. I would not rely on any solvent to loosen it or the small oil holes in the journal to allow the all effluent to escape.

The plugs were often removed with a hammer and cold chisel which often destroyed them and sometimes resulted in damage to the edges of the hole in the crankweb.

Mike Farmer:
Hi

Do you know anyone with about a 3' pillar drill. You would then only have to align the crank. Where are you.

Mike 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version