The BSA Workshop > Twins

A65T Fork Slider Length

(1/3) > >>

DODGE:
Hi,
I'm just returning to British bikes via a 1970 A65T (Pre-OIF) project. Previously I've restored a Bantam and B31. I'm a new member of the BSAOC.
On rebuilding the forks, I cannot correctly align the front wheel. It appears that all components on both sides are identical except for the sliders and axle/spindle caps. The RHS (Brake plate) slider seems to be ~ 1/8 inch shorter (from top of slider to top of spindle groove) than the LHS, with end caps also showing ~ 1/8 inch difference.
- Have I got sliders from different models?
- Which one is correct?
- Can I just file down the spindle groove on the LHS slider?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Andrew

JulianS:
Some information in this earlier thread;

http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_forum/index.php?topic=437.0

DODGE:
Thanks Julian,
so it seems I have different model sliders. Any idea which one is correct, or what the correct part numbers should be?
Cheers
Andrew

Bess:
Hi,
    The correct sliders have counter bores along with the clamps at the bottom. Pt nos 97-3641 LH, 97-3645 rh. Julian's post has all the info on the BSA service sheet.

I have tried to buy new, not sure there are many out there, I only found one which was badly pitted inside. There is also a great mix up by sellers offering the wrong used items without the counter-bore.

Can you provide images of the bottom section of both?

Best wishes...

DODGE:
Hi Bess,
here are the images. It seems both have the 'counter bores' if they are the small dimples behind the drain holes.
Rather than file a deeper axle groove in the longer leg, I might just shim the oil seal holder 1/8 inch to make the total length from spring seat to axle the same. What do you think?
Cheers
Andrew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version