The BSA Workshop > Singles

CORRECT GRADE OF OIL

<< < (2/2)

ANDY HIGHAM:
Sorry I cannot agree with you, thick treacle like oil is not a substitute for good surfaces and gaskets.
There is a common misconception that thicker oil has better lubricating properties. Bullshit, thinner oil reaches the bearings faster. Film strength and shear resistance are more important, additives such as zinc improve wear resistance on high pressure areas like cam followers.
I repeat THERE IS NO CORRELATION BETWEEN VISCISITY AND LUBRICATION PROPERTIES

STAR TWIN:
Very true. Classic oils have higher levels of ZDDP than synthetic oils. Synthetics are excellent but are slightly compromised by having to avoid contaminating catalytic converters in exhausts.
Multigrades are fine, just don't prolong the oil change interval over much. In fact, the same advice applies to monogrades.
If you intend using synthetic oils, make sure your bike is well run in first.
There are strong opinions out there. As an old lifelong motorcyclist once said, if you were stuck, you would be happy to use melted butter.

Bess:
I love the oil subject, great to listen to at the end of a drinking session in the pub  :) :) :) :)

here are probably more myths and misconceptions about oil and lubrication than any other subject in motorcycling. Gerry Bristow attempts to set straight some of the errors that masquerade as facts... Gerry Bristow spent most of his working life in the oil industry, with Duckhams, BP and others.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/oil030319.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version