Author Topic: Fuel Tanks (again)  (Read 382 times)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Fuel Tanks (again)
« on: 25 October, 2017, 09:21:57 »
 :)
Hi. I'm just in the process of "doing" a petrol tank and I've run out of cleanser and sealant.

Whats new on the market and what are you gents currently using. I'd much rather use something proven by you than take a chance on getting it right.

Mike 8) 8)

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Tanks (again)
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2017, 17:12:43 »
Loads on Youtube including Apple Cider ?

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2017, 08:47:30 »
Hi Mike,
               A nice article which may inspire you:

http://www.sumpmagazine.com/classic-bike-workshop/caswell-petrol-tank-sealer.htm

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2017, 15:44:49 »
 :)
Hi Bess

That is extremely interesting and in truth looks a good way to go. I've already de-rusted it and having run out of "Splosh" looking for something to continue the process.I shall keep you up to date. Actually one of their recommended "fixers" is only a few miles from me, so I might do a bit of interrogation.

Thanks a zillion for your input

Mike 8) 8)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2017, 17:15:47 »
Hi Agen. :)

Whilst on this subject. This an Indian tank that I bought about 18months back. It has only had two lots of fuel put in it and the amount of rust and other cra- that came out beggars belief.

I admit that when I bought it I was very pleased with it and sang its praises. However now??????? buyer beware.

Mike 8) 8)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2017, 19:15:55 »
Hi

I have visited the localish guy spoken of recently and he swears by this product. He is a professional fuel tank reliner. So I left my tank with him to have the job done properly.?????

I have a second tank that looks as if it came out of the ark which I shall have a go at myself later.

The job is going to come out at about 150. A lot of money but should be worth it.

Take care

Mike 8) 8)

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2017, 21:17:56 »
Sounds good........please keep us posted  8)

TTJOHN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November, 2017, 08:53:06 »
Hi

I have visited the localish guy spoken of recently and he swears by this product. He is a professional fuel tank reliner. So I left my tank with him to have the job done properly.?????

I have a second tank that looks as if it came out of the ark which I shall have a go at myself later.

The job is going to come out at about 150. A lot of money but should be worth it.

Take care

I'm not sure why the Indian tank rusted up so quick, maybe it's the fuel we are getting now, I must check my one that I bought from India, I do beleive that some Indian tanks are made on the street corner, whilst others are made using the old English tooling, the one I got was from a chap called Rummy, it came badged & painted, the only thing I had to do ws clean the paint out of the petrol  tap threads by running a tap down them,  all for 200 so I was quite pleased, I hope you get yours sorted.
Regards TTJohn
Mike 8) 8)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2017, 11:45:03 »
Hi

Mine cost about that as well. Appeared to be from a biggish company. The liner is falling apart. As I said I was more than pleased at the time. So we'll see.

I will keep you all in the loop.

Mike 8) 8)

ROYC

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2017, 09:43:30 »
Here's an interesting article on Ethanol and sealers  -  http://www.johnsmotorcyclenews.co.uk/bike-tech/ethanol-its-impact-on-fuel-systems/ 
Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November, 2017, 11:09:53 »
 Hi Roy:)

That is an extremely interesting read.

Might I suggest that you open a new topic just to give that a lot more prominence.  It could help a lot of people.

Thanks again

Mike 8) 8)