Author Topic: Help please  (Read 158 times)

Mongoose911

• Star
    • View Profile
Help please
« on: 22 October, 2017, 20:17:38 »
Hello everyone

Thanks in anticipation
I am looking at getting my first ever BSA and have the option to buy a B33.
The chap selling tells me the engine and frame number don't match and that the B33 is unregistered. He tells me he has a letter from the BSAOC stating that the frame number is not on their database and that it is probably a spare frame supplied to replace a damaged one. The fact he has this leads me to think he has explored registering it but has run into difficulties. He seems a really decent chap and has done a fantastic job of building it, I am just a little worried that it may not be possible to get an age related plate or any other kind of plate, or that it will be worth rather less than "a pucker one" making it a bit of a poor proposition.
Can anybody advise please?
regards

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2017, 20:46:40 »
If the frame number is not in the despatch books then there could be a problem registering it as an old bike. You could end up with a Q and you might need a type approval.

See DVLA website.

However - sometimes owners do not give clubs quite the correct number - misread it (2 for Z, S for 5, Z for 7 and a number of other possibles) or part obscured by paint (especially powder coating). It is worth viewing it and forming an opinion on the number and compare it with the letter and getting an account from current owner. If the number is really odd then I suggest beware.

Do you know what it is? Does it look like it is a proper BSA number?

Mongoose911

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Help please
« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2017, 21:02:03 »
Thank you for your reply JulianS

I guess it could have been supplied incorrectly to the BSAOC, I haven't seen the frame number for myself. I will ask to have a look myself and see if I can form an opinion.

The frame has been powder coated so might be difficult to read but I will ask the owner if he sent it to BSAOC prior to it being powder coated.

I'm afraid I am new to BSA's and at this juncture don't know what constitutes a correct BSA frame number format.

Thanks again JulianS.