Author Topic: 1971 Rebuild  (Read 202 times)

Wind

• Star
    • View Profile
1971 Rebuild
« on: 10 October, 2017, 13:59:34 »
Hi just joined the forum.
I started to strip down my 71 OIF and I am looking for a good workshop manual for the engine. I have been searching online but find it hard to know what's a good one.
The only issue I have at the moment is removing the engine sprocket it seems that the points of the teeth are a bit bigger than the notches.
Haven't got to heavy handed with it yet ::) so any tips.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: 1971 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2017, 15:57:27 »
Go for the factory issue manual plus a parts book.

Wind

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2017, 17:06:51 »
Thanks Julian.
Do you know if there is a digital version

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2017, 18:24:28 »
Hi Wind. I am in the process of building a basket case 1971 OIF which was in boxes when i bought it. If you have any double parts please let me know. My Haynes manual is crap. I have my newly built Hagon wheels arriving this week, a new loom, new mudguards etc, the fun begins. Keep up the commentary of your rebuild. Regards Colin

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2017, 18:28:34 »
Wind

I will PM you. See messages in line below header.

Wind

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2017, 18:55:00 »
A10 JWO

I have nothing at the moment but will let you know. Not sure how to post photos here (I will try one)
I am thinking of documenting the process on a blog so I can keep track of it myself could take a long time ::)

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2017, 13:57:05 »
Mine was worse than that and i had some bits missing. My frame now looks new and I have rebuilt the forks with new stanchions, seals etc. I am getting all my nuts and bolts from South East Essex Fastners, half the price than anyone else. All bolt sizes listed on Draganflys Website which is really handy. Regards Colin.

Editor

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2017, 17:30:03 »
Hi Wind,
The standard sprockets for the A65 are 18T for sidecar work and 20T and 21T  for solo. The slots are designed so all these sizes will go through. However, SRM produce a 22T and used to do a 23T. Mine is a 22T which is great for keeping the revs lower at high speeds but previous owner has cut and filed extra slots, one being at the bottom so close to the plate mounting hole that said hole has disappeared leaving a great leak path for the chaincase oil. BODGE!!
My advice is, don't mess with these slots. If you have a 22T+ sprocket and need to remove it, pull the gear cluster out from the other side, a relatively simple task as the cluster comes out in one assembly whilst still attached to the round gearbox cover.
Chris