General > The Star and Garter

Correcting DVLA Error - Opening a Can of Worms?

<< < (2/4) > >>

JulianS:
Consider applying for an age related plate rather than the "Q" plate.

Is there anything unusual about the number - does it look like a BSA number and in the appropriate sequence for 1955. Sometimes numbers and letters have been misread and misrecorded- S mistaken for 5 , 2 mistaken for Z, 7 mistaken for Z, C mistaken for G and sometimes numbers missed out because of faint stamping or thick paint, others as well.

MOUNTAINHOP:
Having looked up the numbers how they appear on my frame , they do actually tally with a 54 A10, so at some point before 84 i believe the frame has been changed with an older frame, one of the first swing arm models. I just never thought to check it. But DVLA have said the bike is unidentifiable and won't budge on that decision. i argued it can be dated, he didn't like that and was having none of it. and they wont tell me the numbers they have on record, so i cant even argue that a 6 could be an 8 or whatever . made me feel like a criminal but all i was trying to do was update my address details like a good citizen. Wish i hadn't bothered now.
The option is to go the dating certificates route regardless, to try and convince DVLA with evidence, but it has borrani wheels and rear 15" bobber, which obviously aren't original , and an A65 tank. would that be considered as not a true marque? it does have the old style single sided front hub and original forks. 

I get the feeling they are just writing off history and handing out Q plates for any bike that doesn't fit their overly strict criteria, just to increase their road tax revenue.

DEAN SOUTHALL:

--- Quote from: MOUNTAINHOP on 05 October, 2017, 03:49:29 ---, but it has borrani wheels and rear 15" bobber, which obviously aren't original , and an A65 tank. would that be considered as not a true marque? it does have the old style single sided front hub and original forks. 

--- End quote ---

I am not suggesting you borrow some A10 wheels and tank while you sort out registration.
 ;)

Mike Farmer:
Hi.

I certainly would not suggest borrowing but: -

If A50 wheels fit you can borrow mine for a short time. Where are you.

Mike 8)

JulianS:
Unfortunately when the reords were computerised in the 1970s nobody checked that the numbers on the old documents matched the numbers on the bike and I think that this is probably how your V5 got the wrong frame number.

Do you have any old MOT certificates which show the frame number - numbers have been included on MOT for the past 25 years or more - not unusual for testers to copy the number from the V5 rather than read from the frame - you may actually have the V5 frame number.

It is worth getting a dating certificate from the BSAOC then you will know exactly what you have and will then be able to consider your options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version