Author Topic: BSA M34 -12 ADVICE AND HELP PLEASE  (Read 410 times)

tonyairconchap

• Star
    • View Profile
BSA M34 -12 ADVICE AND HELP PLEASE
« on: 23 September, 2017, 20:28:32 »
Hi all, Newbie so treat me well please.
i have just purchased a BSA M34-12   1934    and would like to ask if any of you good folk could answer a few questions.
1) where can i get a technical service manual..had a search on the net and had no joy.
2) my bike has red wheels and red panels on the tank.....could it be Ex Post Office? Any way of checking......or is it that someone just liked red!  ( its like the telegram bantam red)
3) Anyone recommend a reliable  repairer of magneto and speedo.
look forward to your replies
tony
« Last Edit: 23 September, 2017, 20:36:29 by tonyairconchap »

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: BSA M34 -12 ADVICE AND HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2017, 21:21:22 »
2. Could be Post Office, a number were supplied to them. Apply for dating certificate from BSAOC Librarian - see BSAOC website under machine dating.

1. You could try The Pitmans Motorcycle Library series, by F J Camm. There was a 1935 edition. This will have some details but not like a modern workshop manual. Parts books are also available - the 1934 parts book covers the whole 1934 range. There are some instruction books covering 1930-36.
« Last Edit: 23 September, 2017, 21:30:08 by JulianS »

tonyairconchap

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2017, 22:04:15 »
Hi , another question, might sound daft but  sure there is an easy answer.
i want to remove the panel with the instruments in the tank, disconneted the oil line etc but found that the wiring loom is too short to pull panel away from the tank.
should the cabling be longer ? Or is it that i need to remove the loom from the headlight?
if its that the cabling is too short i will run new longer cables on rebuild.
how long should the inspection lamp cables be?
cheers
tony

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2017, 21:18:09 »
Hi.

There is a Post Office Vehicle Owners Club. They may be able to assist or at least tell you whether it was ever PO.

Mike 8)

tonyairconchap

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2017, 22:15:22 »
Thanks mike,  i will see if i can contact them.
cheers tony

tonyairconchap

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:31:17 »
Contacted the GPO vehicle owners club...my bikes not GPO.
someone must of just liked red over the history of the bike.
will keep it as it is as its different

Hoppe30

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2017, 11:01:11 »
The BSA OC have copies of the despatch records. The records also show special orders, like red paint. The BSA factory delivered what the customer ordered. It may be worthwhile to have a look to see whether it was ordered with red panels.
BSA 1930s nut. Trying to collect all 1936 models. Still missing B3, R4, R17, Q21 and Y13.

daveysprocket

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2017, 14:54:38 »
Hello, what a lovely bike you have bought, it looks superb, it would be nice to keep as original as pos.. I have a Pitman's "book of the BSA" a 1950 reprint of a 1933 sixth edition. However it quotes in the Preface that it covers only 1936 and subsequent, so you may need to buy an earlier version to cover your machine. It is quite a useful general guide.
Regarding magnetos; this has been a sticky subject for me and I had more advice on where not to send it than where to! One I had originally done, quite cheaply (120), by a friend of a friend lasted just 3 years and not many miles. It was then forwarded to another f. of f. only to reside with him untouched for 6 months. Now retrieved it is in the hands of The Magneto Guys who have a 6 months waiting list and an estimated 400. I made my choice to use them going off their website. This makes it March when it will be returned and only after a while could a verdict be given. A club member who I don't know personally has recommended FTW in Sheffield who had a 6 Week waiting list. So a personal recommendation is what's really needed.
Good luck with the bike, these are quite simple machines really nothing that can't be sorted one way or another.
Regards.
Dave
p.s I am half way through the preservation of a 1936 Model 18 250cc

Hoppe30

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2017, 14:14:58 »
There is also a sort of lime green booklet from BMS covering BSA motorcycles from 1935 - 1940 including the WD M20. It turns up on Ebay regularly. I may have a spare copy but would have to look. The original version is red on white and was published by the MotorCycle or Motorcycling can't remember which one.
BSA 1930s nut. Trying to collect all 1936 models. Still missing B3, R4, R17, Q21 and Y13.

tonyairconchap

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2017, 20:59:06 »
Thanks all for your comments about my bike. Its coming on well. I am trying to keep to what i call an older restoration.
i have had the black parts painted in satin black keeping all dents , marks on them.
I have bought a magneto fully rebuilt from a smashing fellow on ebay..so thats sorted
The tank and wheels i have kept as red.
I managed to get a reel of rubber black cable and rewired the bike.
Its a shame about the state of the chrome on the tank, its very badly pitted, tried all sorts of cleaning it b6ut i cant get it any better . But i dont want to recondition the tank and lose the  patenia of the aged look, any hints and tips?

Timing the engine will soon be my next task.....anyone written some easy instructions for a novice?

Attached a couple of pictures of project so far......any comments i will be happy to hear ,,,,,but be gentle :)
(exhaust bracket needs to be made so its not level yet)

« Last Edit: 24 November, 2017, 21:09:30 by tonyairconchap »

daveysprocket

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 November, 2017, 13:07:52 »
I think your tank looks brilliant and would just leave as is and I like your idea of using satin black, an old machine should look old - in my opinion. Glad you have got your magneto sorted. Re the timing: it is a matter of being careful, methodical and following the book, although without a Manual you may be struggling there. But, I think it may follow other similar, or later machines although the position of the advanced setting may vary. It's safer to be a little more retarded rather than too advanced. There is a good book by Radco, I think that it is in re-print and a lot cheaper than the originals " the motorcyclists workshop"; it gives a good lot of clear general advice. You will also need to know the valve clearances.
Cheers
Dave

Hoppe30

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 November, 2017, 13:43:35 »
Old chrome can be polished with very fine wire wool. it does take the flakes off and brings back some shine (if there is any left) to the remaining chrome.