Author Topic: A7 ST petrol tank - best options to flush  (Read 312 times)

ANNIS

• Star
    • View Profile
A7 ST petrol tank - best options to flush
« on: 18 September, 2017, 20:00:41 »
Hi, probably a subject thats been raised several times. What is the best options for flushing out a petrol tank that has not been used for some time.
richard

Jackson

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: A7 ST petrol tank - best options to flush
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2017, 21:31:15 »
I'm about to use paraffin. Recommended by a friend. It should also leak test it. I need to put taps in first though  :) I saw a recommendation for a Loctite thread sealant but can't remember where. Any suggestions?

ANNIS

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2017, 18:44:57 »
Seem to recall a thread which mentioned loctite and mentioned I think 3 grades each in a different colour. Was it green, yellow and red?

Jackson

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2017, 22:30:38 »
Yes, these are the different strengths, but I think that there is another one for sealing rather than holding threads. I've checked the loctite site and they have, I think, purple for this purpose but I'm not sure about its petrol/ethanol resistant properties.
Adrian.

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2017, 09:34:49 »
hi ethanol has been mentioned again is it already in our petrol and has anyone had problems? Roy ???

Jackson

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2017, 18:03:44 »
It's yellow Loctite 577 for thread sealing. Just used some. Will leak test next week.

Martin

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2017, 12:41:40 »
So far, I've had no problems with the tank on my A65, but that's possibly because of the low mileage the bike has seen - only around eleven thousand.

Believing that it needed a clean when I bought it, I used the products supplied by Tank Care Products, but refrained from going so far as to apply their sealant in case something else arose and I needed to clean it again. An awful lot of muck came out, and a couple of after-flushes of petrol got rid of the residues. It's stayed clean almost a year now with no protection, and there's still no blockages or build-up of sediments or rust that I can determine. Give Tank Care Products a try, but do follow their instructions to the letter.