Author Topic: Stand Springs Woe.  (Read 356 times)

A10 JWO

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Stand Springs Woe.
« on: 14 September, 2017, 15:06:32 »
My newly painted frame is ready to come together with the newly painted side and centre stand. I have two brand new springs as well. Not looking forward to fitting these, there must be a wealth of experience out there and any tips would be greatly appreciated. The engine is not in so I can lay it down on a nice off cut of carpet. Help please.

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Stand Springs Woe.
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2017, 17:15:26 »
Hi,
    I use a bar with a notch, hook the spring on the bar, put the notch on the frame lug and lever on. See Utube link at about 27 secs, a nice young lady will show u how...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKhFHNt2d6Q

Best wishes...

Martin

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2017, 14:18:58 »
Yes, I did much the same as Bess.

If you could get the springs fitted without some form of lever, then they wouldn't be under enough tension and the stands might easily come down and hit the ground while you're riding. Both stands ought to retract with a pleasing "clang" and stay there.

A10 JWO

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2017, 15:56:18 »
Thanks lads. Had a good look at Youtube  after posting this, will be tackling this the weekend.

A10 JWO

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2017, 16:39:30 »
Did both springs today. Centre stand several pennies, put spring on first with no bolts, then lined up opposite bolt and connected, then levered the spring side in place, quite easy. Don't put the coins the wrong side of the spring they will get in your way. Side stand four pennies, spring on first and levered the S/S on with no paint loss, job done. thanks for replies.

Caulky

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2017, 18:38:04 »
A spring puller is invaluable.