Author Topic: “Daylight MOT”  (Read 1610 times)

robin smith

• Star
    • View Profile
“Daylight MOT”
« on: 06 September, 2017, 16:17:48 »
Having just received my September copy of the Star. I read with interest the article by Richard Stephens regarding his 1960 Spitfire restoration.
He states, despite it going to have a “Daylight MOT” a stoplight  is required by law!

Some time ago I took a bike with no lights “but with a stoplight fitted” for its annual MOT. To be told no lights meant just that! Requiring me to remove the stop lamp for it to pass!

He also states, apparently a “bulb horn” is no longer legally acceptable ?

Do we have any legal eagles out there, to clarify this potential confusion?  Who knows in the event of an insurance claim these details could be relevant!   

robin smith

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: “Daylight MOT”
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2017, 09:06:08 »
Thanks to cee - b

I have checked-out http://www.motuk.com/bike/manual.asp and discovered the following, which I find a little confusing in parts or is my advancing which is the problem?

Machines first used before 1 April 1986 must have a stop lamp that operates from at least one brake control.

Machines first used on or after 1 April 1986 must have a stop lamp that operates from both brake controls.

Stop lamp: All machines, except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or has such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are only used during daylight hours, and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

Horn (Audible Warning) A motor bicycle first used before 1 August 1973 may be fitted with a bulb horn.

LIONELSMITH

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2017, 20:09:22 »
Robin, I believe this is within the "construction and use" legislation. Motorcycles manufactured without lights should not have lights, (Other) motorcycles manufactured before 1986, built with a stop light should have a (working) stoplight. The MOT tester can only test against one set of rules. It may need re-classification to fit into a new class but that would take research and probably many upgrades. There is nothing to say you cannot refit the brake light post MOT for safety!

Confusing yes, but this is law.

robin smith

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2017, 20:16:52 »
"There is nothing to say you cannot refit the brake light post MOT for safety!"

That’s precisely what I did Lionel!