Author Topic: Ebay scammer delves into pre-war BSAs  (Read 287 times)

Greybeard

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Ebay scammer delves into pre-war BSAs
« on: 08 September, 2017, 19:27:20 »
Last weekend an ad appeared on ebay for a very nice looking 1939 BSA B24 Silver Star. There were several photographs of the machine along with a detailed and very fair description. The seller had no feedback but provided an email address which I noted. There was no indication of the whereabouts of the bike and the price was a rather low 4500 or thereabouts.
Intereste piqued, I emailed the seller to ask for it's whereabouts for a potential viewing. I duly got a reply indicating that the bike, which had belonged to his late father, he having died 3 months ago - was in Inverness - conveniently far enough away from most of the population - but it could be available for 3750 and the cost of a courier to my door  ::)
I again asked about viewing and received this reply

Hi again, I have relocated to Berlin due to work commitments and viewing won't be an option. I suggest going through PayPal for your peace of mind. As for payment we will use PayPal's - Pay After Delivery payment facility which offers the buyer 14 days for the bike to be delivered/inspected before any funds are released to me. Regarding delivery someone will collect the bike and will transport it safely to your location. (I will mail the access keys to the delivery guy once we've sorted through PayPal).
Please read the PayPal (Pay after delivery) terms by clicking on the link below:
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/pay-after-delivery-terms
This purchase protection guarantees that the bike is exactly as I have described it; in other words, once you've paid through PayPal - PAD, you will have the chance to inspect it as i won't get paid by PayPal before delivery. I will get paid only after you confirm that you have received the bike in good order as described.
Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few more offers from potential buyers. If you do want to go ahead please confirm your PayPal email and address along with your daily contact number.

The original ad was removed by ebay within an hour along with another one for a similar machine. A little googling revealed that this machine was sold on ebay in January 2016 by a reputable seller. The same photographs had been used in the latest scam along with the description word for word. I would add that the bike was, quite rightly, sold then for considerably more. I shall not post the reg number or any of the photographs here as it may well belong to a forum member. Should the owner read this and recognise the BSA, then I would be happy to fill them in with more details.
The name and email address used by this low-life was John M. Chester  johnmchest1203@gmail.com
Be warned, folks, we seem to have moved on from being Nigerian Princes now  ;)

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

DEREKANDERSON8

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay scammer delves into pre-war BSAs
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2017, 21:30:39 »
There was a TV documentary on last week about ebay scammers with a similar approach, a lot of people lost money on vans etc that failed to materialise. I don't know how that works with paypal though, I always thought that was pretty safe.

I bought a magneto from Ebay this week and seller was telling me that he had been offered payment through paypal way above what he was asking for it, the "buyer" then asked if he could refund almost half the value through a moneygram payment he smelt a rat and declined.

;)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2017, 18:21:19 »
Hi

My son has just been down this line with someone selling a Sloper with sidecar. Same basic story. It was soon removed. This time the seller has re-located to Poland. However I would like to think that some very lucky guy gat a super deal "1931 Sloper and chair fully restored by my deceased father in law" 4500 buy it now.

Mine personal experience was someone offering me a fab price for a mid twenties tractor but could I arrange delivery to Russia. Oh yeah.

Bring back hanging????? OK I know that's a bit harsh so how about public castration. Same goes for the thieves.

Mike.

Greybeard

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2017, 20:47:00 »
I saw that sloper advertised, Mike. The same seller had listed about 90 bikes within minutes  :o all for sale on behalf of a friend with their own email addresses. The few i looked at all had their ads blagged from previously sold listings and all were removed within an hour of my spotting them. I wouldnt be surprised if the seller account was a hacked one as he had all positive feedback.

I echo your sentiments for a good hanging. A permanent cure is very effective  ;)

There is a good side to ebay of course - I did a 300 mile round trip today to pick up a very nice AJS Model 31 650 today. Just need to find a space for it now  :-\ How many bikes is too many?

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2017, 21:19:57 »
Just one is one toooooooo many according to a couple of Sunday morning widows. Mike.

I note that Ebay is very quick at telling me that I'm not allowed to put contact details etc in my ads BUt they sure don't take any action against the perpetrators of these obvious crimes. There is no excuse--- they have all the details. Its about time they started 'bouncing' one or two of this puke making crud.

Mike

Greybeard

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2017, 21:46:23 »
Im pleased that im not the only one, Mike. I sold an outboard engine about 3 or 4 weeks ago and sent my phone number in a message to the buyer so he could get directions from me. They were threatening to restrict my account for trying to sell it off ebay despite the fact that he'd already bought it  :o
I must get myself a fresh supply of salt cos Im using up a lot of pinches lately  ;)

I must have a very easy going EPO (Enjoyment Prevention Officer) as she wanted to come along to collect the AJS today. No real objections to 8 bikes so far  ;) Ill let you know when a negative reaction is detected.

Steve

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:38:35 »
Hi all.

My EPO is also very compliant and travels happily with me on my various "junk runs". But the line was seriously drawn when I proposed cleaning an international rad in the bath. Well you cant win em all.

Incidently on the theft of bikes issue--- I keep "D" locks on mine even in my locked garage. (Or chains) and if they are ever parked out of sight even for a short time. Paranoid???probably?????????????

Mike

chrisgoodwin

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:32:41 »
However I would like to think that some very lucky guy gat a super deal "1931 Sloper and chair fully restored by my deceased father in law" 4500 buy it now.......

I can see the headlines now, "Dead man re-builds bike"

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2017, 15:57:24 »
Absolutely brilliant