Author Topic: Battery flat after riding with lights on  (Read 6523 times)

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Battery flat after riding with lights on
« Reply #15 on: 30 August, 2017, 15:42:08 »
Hi Drummie,
Try that again with the engine running at about 3000 revs with the lights on. If its showing more than 15.5V then it could be the Zener that's the problem. It may be just the earth on the Zener, not earthing.
Good luck!
Chris

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 August, 2017, 16:34:41 »
figures given  shows its charging [ possibly a little high] but the original fault was lights on=flat battery. it could have been the old battery causing the problem. the way forward is simple. ride with your lights on during the day and see if the faults gone.

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:25:08 »
Thanks for all the help. I'll ride it around and see how it goes.

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September, 2017, 13:48:08 »
Hi again, I've done another voltage check at the the battery and at idle with lights off i'm getting around 14.3v this increases to 16.2v at 3000 rpm.
With the lights on i'm getting 11.2v at idle increasing to 14.5v at 3000rpm. Also Its fitted with a boyer mirco III ignition, if this makes a difference. How do these readings seem to you all. I've also cleaned all the earth points.
« Last Edit: 01 September, 2017, 13:54:18 by Drummie »

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 September, 2017, 14:26:36 »
My A10 on 12 volts.

With lights off battery show 12.9 volts.

Switch lights on - H4 headlight bulb - volts drop to 12.4 after about 30 seconds. Lights off after that short time then volts back up.

I think the drop you are experiencing suggests battery past its best.

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 September, 2017, 09:38:05 »
I'll  change the battery and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September, 2017, 17:34:24 »
Based on what you said, the charging rate is fine with the lights on. Most likely the Battery
Chris

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 September, 2017, 22:29:49 »
hi, i would suggest there is a large power drain with the lights on at idle. it could be the battery, but could also be a poor lighting switch or a large watt halogen headlamp bulb ? maybe remove the headlamp bulb and recheck the voltage on idle with the lights on. a very common fault is a live wire touching the handlebars in the light switches. remove the switches and remeasure.
another way of checking for a short is by removing the battery connections and  bellout with the multimeter between live and earth, lights on and off. should be no buzzer on either.

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2017, 14:33:15 »
Thanks Guys. I believe the battery has had it. I was out on the bike yesterday and after around 20 minutes stopped, and still with the engine running switched the lights on. The bike cut out after about 10 seconds, which is a lot worse than before. Switched them off and she started first kick and rode perfectly. I will have a look at the switches and wiring and also the headlight bulb. That rang a bell, as I remember that being a fault on a Honda 400 four I had a few years ago. I was thinking of a possible conversion with a boyer bransden powerbox if need be. Do any of you know of them or better still used/use one. Thanks again Drummie.

LIONELSMITH

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 September, 2017, 20:21:38 »
Drummie, with those voltages I agree the rectifier sounds faulty, but that does not explain why the battery discharges so quickly, The only thing that makes sense is the faulty rectifier has damaged the Battery and its capacity is shot. I would replace the rectifier, I would go solid state, and try another borrowed battery for a brief test. Otherwise I agree with Julian, you have a wire that is earthing out. If you want an original rectifier I like many have taken off a working rectifier.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 September, 2017, 18:41:01 »
Re Boyer Bransden ign, I've had one on my Thunderbolt for the past 11 yrs, and it was already fitted when I bought the bike so its really old. I've never had any problems with it and the beauty of them is, once fitted and set up, they don't need any adjustment or maintenance, in fact its a fit and forget job. Highly recommended by me!
Chris

Caulky

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:30:01 »
Hi Drummie
You said "With the engine switched off I got a reading of 12.25 volts across the battery terminals."
At this voltage, your battery is less than 50% charged.
Fully charged it should read 12.6V (6 cells at 2.1V).
After a charge, the voltage may be 13V plus.
This is the 'surface charge' which disappears after time or loaded.
When buying a new battery, get the vendor to load test it, I had two bad battery's in a row. 

Drummie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 October, 2017, 17:32:17 »
Thanks again for all the help. Took the bike to the Glasgow Distinguished Gentleman's Ride Out, and without the lights on it didn't miss a beat, even riding through the monsoon type rain we get here. I've taken it off the road now for the winter, and will be going through everything and changing a few bits ie the rectifier over the coming months. Caulky, I checked the battery a couple of days ago straight after a short run, and it was showing 13.3 volts. I'm going to change it though, and get the new one checked as you suggest. Thanks again.