Author Topic: Simplified diagram of BSA clutch  (Read 9485 times)

RogB

• Star
  • Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Simplified diagram of BSA clutch
« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2017, 21:32:28 »
Yes, and their name begins with a W?
BSA Golden Flash, Plymouth, UK

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 August, 2017, 07:38:41 »
Hi Roger,
              I have issues with parts from f...d, they have refunded me but I had to phone twice to remind them. I to have wasted money in the past with different suppliers, especially engine parts. In my experience SRM parts and service have been the best, they have been worth the extra money I've paid.

Best wishes...

RogB

• Star
  • Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 August, 2017, 09:54:51 »
Hi Bess, I won't be as peevish as to say I'm glad I'm not the only one - but it is comforting to hear I'm not the only one they seem to want to drive away. A couple of months ago I ordered a pair of pillion footrest rubbers from them (they were advertised to be sold as a pair) - only one was delivered. Phoned same day as delivered and got a grumpy answer saying they'll put another in the post. They did do that but there was no apology made and I was made to feel it was my fault.

Now this push rod and them not following through quickly with a refund has made me learn my lesson and I won't order anything from them again. Instead I'll make use of their website (for free) when I want to check part numbers etc. and then order from someone else.

On a positive note, I've ordered a few bits from Priory Magnetos and received excellent and quick service. Andrew is very helpful and efficient.  Also had my chronometric speedo repaired recently by Philip Woods, also excellent. he quoted me for the repair but he found that there wasn't as much to do as he envisaged - so he charged me considerably less that he quoted. Not a lot would be that honest when it comes to easy money.

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 August, 2017, 22:50:00 »
the problem with the standard 6 spring clutch is the centre captive ball in the end plate doesnt work with the pushrod. i fitted a  jap bike clutch mushroom  to the end of the pushrod [ground down slightly]. the other end was stepped if i remember correctly and so i drilled out the centre of the lift plate to locate it and the centre i believe was drilled to be held in place with a washer and split pin. i m sorry i didnt take any photos but it was fit and forget and not to difficult to make.

RogB

• Star
  • Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 August, 2017, 12:16:48 »
Hi Eddie,
Do I understand correctly that you mean the slightly rounded circular metal piece (as opposed to captive ball) inside the pressure plate?
Rgs.

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 August, 2017, 16:44:59 »
hi roger, to understand the principle and what to drill etc you will have to look at a parts diagram of a s*****i gs750 [it uses a clutch pushrod also]. you could start with the hollow mushroom part that lifts the plate. you dont need the flat needle washer, but if you could squeeze it in, well done. i ve seen the same  fittings  on aftermarket triumph lift plates, 3 and 4 spring.

RogB

• Star
  • Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 August, 2017, 21:16:49 »
Many thanks Eddie.

RogB

• Star
  • Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 August, 2017, 21:45:27 »
Eddie, what do you reckon on this (PE400)?

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 August, 2017, 22:07:13 »
hi roger,
yes youve got the idea. the shaft is hollow and the pushrod fits? the nut and bolt on the end makes it a little long and may hit the clutch cover. i would remove the ball and drill the end plate so the middle section passes snuggly through the clutch end plate. find a right size thick washer and to hold the washer in place, drill a hole in the step for a 1/4 " split pin[ touch the surface with a grinder and the drill will start easier], then cut off the excess with a saw or on the grinder if its too hard. i think i used an angle grinder on mine. so the mushroom stays with the clutch end cover. you have a adjuster for the clutch pushrod on the gearbox end and you need to size the pushrod when its fitted in the mushroom with the clutch plates and springs fitted. i cut my pushrod in half and used a 1/4 ball bearing in between.
i ve made it sound a lot of work but its not if you have a bench or angle grinder and a drill which i m sure you have.

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 August, 2017, 22:19:43 »
ah i forgot one thing roger , the hollow tube where the pushrod fits into will probably need sizing and triming for the gap between the mainshaft and the clutch end cover [1/4" clearance?]. use maximum number of plates and the hole you drill in the clutch end plate needs to be central for obvious reasons.

RogB

• Star
  • Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 August, 2017, 22:37:37 »
Cheers Eddie, got all that. I've already bought another pressure plate and this'll be a job for the winter months. If I mess up I still have my original set up.

Thanks for giving me all the details.

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 August, 2017, 22:49:51 »
hi roger, like you i had been having problems with the 6 spring especially in london traffic. i did this conversion as an experiment, hence no photos , and 1 year later i ve yet to go inside the primary chaincase. never adjusted the springs since.