Author Topic: B31 stand  (Read 275 times)

Bles31

• Star
    • View Profile
B31 stand
« on: 21 August, 2017, 16:23:05 »
Hello - this is my first post. I have a 1952 B31 which I am currently making roadworthy. I will be putting it on the road to use regularly -  mainly to visit cafes and cake shops around the Lake District. One of my major problems is the lack of a useable stand so that I can work on the bike. It's currently leaning against the wall, which isn't convenient.  The bike has a centre stand but this offers no leverage at all and I find myself having to lift the weight of the bike to get it up on the stand. This is too much for my 69 year old back! Despite searching around I can't find a side stand to fit the plunger frame. Can anyone advise on side stand, source of better centre stand, mod's ?
Thank you.

Greybeard

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: B31 stand
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2017, 18:02:12 »
Hello, Bles31
My 1953 B31 has a prop stand fitted to the nearside wheel stay. I think it's an original fitting though similar pattern ones are available. The inner part of the clamp is welded to the frame to prevent it slipping. The arm of the stand is 9 inches long from the pivot bole to the foot. Many years ago I did buy an aftermarket prop stand for my 1956 B31 (long since gone, unfortunately) which was a clamp on affair to the frame behind the primary chaincase. It was prone to slipping unless tightened to the point where you'd risk damaging the frame so wasn't a particularly successful purchase. If you are rebuilding then perhaps you'll have the opportunity of fixing the clamp more permanently.
Another option is made by this chap -
http://www.vintele.co.uk/fitting/
I have bought one of these intending to fit it to my 1936 Sunbeam Lion but just after it arrived I came across a genuine sidestand for it - the frame mounting was already on the bike but I was missing the prop. That being the case I can't comment on their effectiveness but it is well made and looks well up to the job. It still sits on a shelf in the workshop waiting for me to find a suitable bike to fit it to  ::)

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

TIGERJ

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2017, 18:22:38 »
Hi there is an original stand on e bay
About 40 including shipping from Denmark.
Regards
          Tim

Bles31

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2017, 21:07:51 »
Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately the part on ebay won't fit as my bike doesn't have the welded lug to which it bolts - as on Greybeard's bike. I may buy a clamp-on universal stand to help with moving around the garage and look at some way of preventing it rotating around the frame tube. Looking at the ventele device makes me wonder if something down from the seat stay (bicycle parlance) could be used to do this.
Some sort of lever added to the centre stand is also possible I suppose.
Thanks again.

andy1953

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2017, 07:27:25 »
Hi
I have fitted  a prop stand from a royal enfield on mine this mounts to the front engine plates all I had to do was get longer bolts and make up some spacers so that the stand would clear the primary case this work well and the bike stands nicely
Andy1953

chrisgoodwin

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:39:15 »
I use a generic bolt on side stand mounted just behind the rear brake fulcrum (Rigid frame), works well with no problems.

Bles31

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2017, 21:41:39 »
Been away for a couple of weeks. Thanks to all for replies. I think I'll start with a generic stand and see how it goes.

MickB32

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2017, 14:28:53 »
draganfly sell a stand to do this but are out of stock.i've got one on back order,may be worth you contacting them.cheers mick