Author Topic: b33 gearbox clutch cable mount  (Read 1028 times)

IanP

• Star
    • View Profile
b33 gearbox clutch cable mount
« on: 21 August, 2017, 15:35:23 »
hi all having just swapped over the  gearbox on my bike there is a difference in the clutch cable mount in that the original had a slot cut in the top allowing the cable to pass through and the mount was threaded allowing the adjuster to be screwed in and then a locknut fitted to tighten . the replacement has no slot and no threading and is a larger diameter hole and the locknut on the cable is captive as it will not pass over the nipple  to allow me to pass it through the hole.
Is there a different cable type for the replacement box with a lock nut either side ? Both boxes are stamped STD
If not what other options do I have ?
thanks Ian

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: b33 gearbox clutch cable mount
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2017, 16:40:43 »
The gearbox inner cover with slot and thread is 1959 and earlier. originally would have had a knurled adjuster and knurled lock nut rather than the hex ones being supplied by many sellers.

The inner cover with larger hole and no slot is 1960 on and the cable ends look like the illustration from a BSA catalogue below. The adjuster being at the handlebar end. No lock nuts.

Both cables should have a ball on the end to fit the clutch lever on the box. Again some cables currently offered have a nipple which is the wrong shape and which dont fit the lever properly.