Author Topic: 69' Starfire rebuild. No oil coming back through return pipe.  (Read 184 times)

RED ALEXI

Hello there,
 Finally got everything back together. Now before anything else, I've fitted an Emgo external oil filter on the return line. Poured oil down pushrod tunnel, into head and the bore for initial startup. Plug out, I kicked it over for ages until a small dribble came out the return pipe. Got delayed 12 hours, but finally started it up for a couple of quick bursts of 20-30 seconds and NO OIL returning through top pipe.
 Oil tank bottom feed to the left fixed metal pipe. Return pipe ID'd as the one with the small fork on it for the head feed. Split main return line to 'IN' side of EMGO filter housing, the 'OUT' side goes back up to the oil tank. Cleaned out oil tank plus fitted a new mesh filter and all new hoses. Suggestions as to the best way to ensure oil is flowing  ?
After a hell of a lot of work and a lot more money I really don't want to end up with a f**ked engine (AGAIN) or have to strip it down again either. I just want to ride the damn thing !

RED ALEXI

Re: 69' Starfire rebuild. No oil coming back through return pipe.
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2017, 22:10:30 »
Anyone ? Anyone ? Anyone ?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2017, 22:48:28 »
I'm not a Starfire expert, but I have used these ideas on the A65 when the oil is not returning. Double check you have connected the pipes correctly. Have you tried removing the return pipe from the engine to the oil filter, then without starting the engine kick it over and see if oil is being returned to the oil filter ? If no oil then either there is a blocked oil way/pipe or your oil pump is not working properly. If oil is returning, is there oil inside the filter? You could try filling the oil filter up and without starting the engine kick the engine over to see if oil is returning. Sometimes putting your finger over the oil tank return pipe will pressurise the system whilst kicking the engine over. You could do the latter when starting the engine but its risky if you are not sure the oil is returning. Rob

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:16:38 »
It is easy to kink and squeeze the oil lines when fitting a filter. Make sure the lines have a  smooth run.

You can get air locks in the line, quite a lot of oil needs pumping if you have not filled the filter canister first as Rob advises.

If it was my bike I would remove the filter and replace it with a plain oil line and see if the oil returns as it should. If it does and there were no obstructions or kinks then the problem is likely with the filter and the place forit is the bin.

I use a small neat Morgo filter on my A10.

http://www.morgo.co.uk/15-morgo-oil-filter-kit

Ian

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:41:05 »
I think I would be more concerned with the oil going into the engine rather than coming out? has the oil level dropped in the oil tank?
 "Finally got everything back together"  have you stripped the engine down and rebuilt it?

RED ALEXI

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2017, 13:35:03 »
Dear All,
 Thanks for coming to my rescue once again. As advised, I ditched the external oil filter - the pipes were in an S bend form, so a likely cause to stop oil returning. For the umpteen time I will have to re-make the support bracket and find a suitable mounting point and orient it as straight as possible.
However, back to the important bit, the oil flow. I purchased a 60 cc syringe from my local equine suppliers. The nozzle fits nicely into some 5/16" pipe. Checked flow from tank to feed pipe; a nice consistent dribble. Re-routed return pipe straight to tank. Filled the syringe with clean oil and force fed it down the pipe to the feed input. Plenty of air bubbled back up. Refilled the syringe, put more oil through then kicked the bike over with no plug in. After a few kicks oil was dribbling out the return pipe in the tank. Plug back in and started the engine. Oil now coming out the return pipe in a strong continuous jet. This is definitely the best method of priming. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.