Author Topic: Oil Pumps  (Read 347 times)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Oil Pumps
« on: 20 August, 2017, 09:41:08 »
 :)
Will the "drive end" of an A50/A65 fit and work with the "pump end" of the earlier A7/10 B31/32 etc. It would appear that they should go together OK but your advice would be very welcome.

Mike

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Pumps
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:40:25 »
The answer is "maybe". You would have to try. The parts look like they should, the A10 gears are the same A65 gears.

The zinc bodies tend to distort over the years and sometimes fee like they are seized and mix match parts can result in a pump which will not revolve freely or feels seized. Neither desirable and could result in an inefficient pump.

You would need to swop position of the 2 feed gears and swop the position of the 2 scavenge gears on the A10 body.

Some later A65 pumps had the body and drive end dowled and some had a different body and the later A65 ones were cast iron bodied, the best one.

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2017, 13:18:07 »

I'll give it a go then and we shall see. Thanks for that.

Don't fully understand your point about changing the gears but may we leave that one for the time being.

I'll come back to this when I have all the bits ready.

Mike 8)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2017, 13:36:04 »
The driving bit on the end of the feed gear which engages with the worm drive - on A10 it is closest to crankcase on A65 it is furthest away.

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2017, 13:39:42 »

Thanks again I'll let you know whenever.

Mike

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2017, 15:40:53 »
 :)Julian.

Here we go then. I got a used A7/10 pump today and fitted my existing A65 drive to it.
Fortunately I found an old(very) A7/10 book in my bits drawer so I was able to verify what I thought that I understood from your post.

Yep they fit up ok although they have a bit of a tight spot it turns. They need to be separated agen and given another clean to smooth out the rotation.

However it does throw up another point-----with the drive re-sited it turns the pump gears in the opposite direction. What do you recon the effect will be. Will it now push instead of sucking???and create a flow in the wrong direction. (That's what I think could happen)

I look forward to yours on this one.

Mike 8)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2017, 16:22:13 »
The A65 worm gear are different parts to A10, the opposite cut to the A10 thus ensuring the pump rotates the correct way. You cannot use A10 worms on A65.
« Last Edit: 22 August, 2017, 16:31:59 by JulianS »

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2017, 17:26:53 »

Hi Julian thank you.

In fact I just stood and looked at the new and the old splines and concluded exactly that.

"He breathes a big sigh of relief."

Thanks a zillion. Assuming nothing goes amiss my oil pump has come in at about 40. I can live with that. Of course the final test will be when its put to use. But I cant see that for a couple of years and by then I'll have forgotten anyway.

But at least now we know it can be done.

Mike 8)  Happy Boy :) :) :)

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2017, 10:22:36 »

Just a quick follow up.
It really is a very easy job.
I have never been inside such a simple pump.
So anyone who suspects an oil pump problem all you need is a screwdriver.
You cant even put it together wrongly because the pressure gears and the scavenge gears have a different spline length and they simply wont fit in place.
Thanks again
Mike 8)