Author Topic: Front brake  (Read 401 times)

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
Front brake
« on: 20 August, 2017, 07:00:53 »
I was at the Stilton bike show yesterday, met a chap with a B44. We chatted about brake power on british bikes.
He had twin leading shoe conversion, But I was happy with the standard brake on my C15 SS.
This has reminded me of a conversion I did 50+ years ago.
My B33, with Superocket engine fitted, had the standard, one sided drum.
I had noticed the way the Vincent twin front brake worked.
I bought another wheel from the breakers ( About 3 ). I removed the press-fitted drum and the short spokes and fitted them to my wheel.
To work the twin drum brakes, I run the original inner cable to its normal brake arm on the right.
I shortened the inner cable, and fitted it to a home made alloy sheet lever, pivoted at the centre, with another inner cable connected to the left side brake arm.
This gave the normal action to each brake, with normal pressure on  the hand lever , but needed twice the movement.
So the only disadvantage was that the cable needed tighter setting, and more frequent adjustment. It worked perfectly well.

I dont like the heavy cast iron, full width hubs on my C155. I would like to the lighter slim hub type. It is the high cost of spares that stop me!
Mick

ANDY HIGHAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 20 August, 2017, 21:21:23 by ANDY HIGHAM »

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
Re: Front brake
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2017, 07:10:35 »
Thanks for that. The Enfield parts are remarkably cheap.
Is that a steel drum ,or alloy? I would like to make my bike lighter.
Mick

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2017, 07:27:09 »
Some thoughts on brakes.
My rear brake will easily lock the wheel. The brake lever is longer and my foot much more powerful than my hand.
I am happy with the power of my front brake, but, It is always fun to try different ideas for improvements.

With the normal brake, the leading shoe is being pushed ON by the rotation of the wheel, whilst the trailing shoe
is being pushed away. So the leading shoe is the most effective, gets hotter, and wears out quicker.
With twin leading shoes, both are more effective and so giving more powerful braking and need less hand strength
for normal use. This is with the normal brake cable anchored on the forks and both brake arms working together.
If the brake arms are moved in opposite directions, with the cable end on one arm, and the cable outer on the other,
then the brake pressure will be doubled for the same hand pressure.
I have ordered a cheap front brake plate and may try the conversion.
Mick

ANDY HIGHAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2017, 20:47:42 »
It's an alloy drum

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2017, 08:51:22 »
Both my brake drums showed rust on the fins!
Mick

MICKREEVES

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2017, 07:38:49 »
Yes, they are cast iron, and very heavy.
Mick