Author Topic: A65 Speedo ring removal  (Read 1912 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
A65 Speedo ring removal
« on: 15 August, 2017, 14:48:21 »
I cannot get the speedo ring out of the hub, appreciate that it is a LH thread. No much leverage as the hub is out of the wheel. Has anyone had any success in this department as I want to change the bearing that is behind it. Or will it drive right through the hub and out the nearside... Thanks.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A65 Speedo ring removal
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2017, 12:27:48 »
A mate has suggested applying a great deal of heat, will this distort the hub. I need to get it sort so I can aqua blast the two hubs. Thanks.

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2017, 13:49:21 »
You could try heating the hub around the threaded part but youll not want to get it too hot. If you have a propane torch or even an old blowlamp with a good spread of flame and keep it moving so that you dont get the heat too localised you should be ok. You need to get it just hot to the point where if you spit on it the spit rolls off in little balls as it boils (aint science wonderful?  :)  ). The theory is that the ali will expand more/faster than the steel and it should give you that little bit of help when it comes to removal.
Im not familiar with the inside of that hub but i wouldve thought that the bearing will be held in place by a lip inside so forcing it all the way through wouldnt be an option.
If all else fails then it may mean more drastic measures like drilling through the ring in several places so you can break it away from the hub, but that would have to be a last resort that shouldnt be needed with a bit of luck  :P

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2017, 16:54:36 »
Greybeard how are you. About lunch time I clamped it down on my workmate, heated it with a hand held and bingo out it came. The hubs are now off to British Airways workshops for aqua blasting FOC I might add. These A65's are a pleasure so far. Thanks.

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2017, 21:02:26 »
I'm pleased it worked for you  ;D Don't forget to show us the results when you get the hubs back. It should look cracking.

Steve

PS - I seem to have picked on a nom-de-plume that is used by someone else on the A7/A10 forum of which I was completely unaware. Greybeard is what Ive used on several other forums (fora?) so there was no intention to deceive  :)
Or as that half-dressed bloke in the film said - I'm Spartacus!
« Last Edit: 16 August, 2017, 21:05:41 by Greybeard »
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)