Author Topic: Update from Old Biker  (Read 331 times)

Old Biker

• Star
    • View Profile
Update from Old Biker
« on: 14 August, 2017, 23:12:32 »
Hi All, The A65 is now alive and well, many thanks for all the advice from various contributors during what seems to have been a long drawn out process. It now starts easily with it's Boyer ignition and charges with aplomb since the upgrade to a reg/rectifier.

The next thing on the list will need to be a front brake upgrade, has anyone done so on a 1965 full width hub A65? Would a TLS brake plate fit or is that wishful thinking!

Cheers,

ROYC

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Update from Old Biker
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:43:27 »
I am in the process of fitting a A65 TLS to my 1958 Shooting Star.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:13:05 »
It can be done but it is more than just plug in the later brake plate.

The original brake has 1 1/8 inch wide braking surface in the hub and straight pull spokes.

The later hub, for which the TLS is designed, has a 1 5/8 wide braking surface, and a verticle spoke flange with angled spokes. The flange also adds strength to the hub.

The TSL brake is designed for later fork bottoms - the slot on the brake plate does not offer safe engagement with the early A65 forks with full width hub. Either the brake plate needs the slot building up or the lug on the fork leg needs extending.

You can use the original hub but it is better with the later item.

It is worth the trouble, the brake is vastly improved over the original.

First photo shows the difference in lugs, early fork at bottom and TLS, 1968 type, fork bottom at top.

Second photo shows the slot on TLS brake plate.

Third shows up to 1965 type full width hub.

And last shows the 1968 on full width hub.

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:28:39 »
I have recently done a TLS conversion. It took a lot of time and money and is nearly as good a the brake it replaced :(

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2017, 19:45:03 »
 i second that dean. good fibre old type linings are a good start. wear a mask when filing and finishing  though.

Old Biker

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2017, 12:16:00 »
Thanks all for the info. Seems like the way ahead will be to try sorting the original brake before making the expensive looking change to a TLS!!

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2017, 13:47:36 »
 :)

About 1978/79 I put a complete Norton Commando front end on. it spoiled the Beesa look and it was a serious dock yard job machining collars etc. But it certainly stopped.

Long gone now but would (will?) do it again

Mike 8)