Author Topic: A50/65 - Rear Brake Light Switch  (Read 223 times)

Bess

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
A50/65 - Rear Brake Light Switch
« on: 11 August, 2017, 10:36:26 »
Hi,
     I've just fitted a new rear brake light switch:-

https://www.feked.com/brake-light-switch-bsa-a50-and-a65.html

It sits in an off position, as the brake is applied it moves to an on position then as the brake is applied further it moves to an off position. As they say in electrical circles off/on/off.

My problem is that I cant set the actuators on the pedal to keep the light on when the brake is fully depressed.

Does anyone know if this is the normal action of the original brake light switch? The suppliers are saying it is...

Thanks.....

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: A50/65 - Rear Brake Light Switch
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2017, 13:57:03 »
There is a limited arc of contact within these D shaped switches.

There is similar fitted to my A10 - the D bit is the same just the mounting bracket and lever differs.

To get it to work properly it seems to me that trial and error with position is the way forward. If it comes on too soon light will go out before pedal fully depressed.

Below is photo shows the inside of such a switch, the moving contact sits in the bracket indicated by the arrow.

Bess

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2017, 15:41:20 »
Hi Julian,
               Thanks, seems a bit of fiddling on the cards.

I hope that's not from your bike? ;)

Best wishes...

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2017, 15:52:25 »
Its the one before the one before the one that is now fitted!!

Editor

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2017, 12:36:44 »
I had the same problem, the only way I could get it to work was to have the travel on the brake pedal so small/short it felt virtually non existant, so I gave up on it and fitted a common or garden spring pull switch hooked on the  'Stop Switch arm, brake pedal' part no. 68-7052.
Jo Barge of the Hampshire Branch has fitted an IP65 DP Microswitch on a home made bracket and its a brilliant idea. He uses a bolt as a peg to stop the brake lever return in a permanent position. If you are interested in taking a look, I have a picture but its loo large to attach so email me on editor@bsaownersclub.co.uk and I will send it to you.
Regards
Chris

DAVID.FORSYTH@VIRGIN.NET

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2017, 08:44:28 »
Hi Bess, I fitted a new one as well and had the same problem. I eventually got the brake light to stay on by adjusting the brake and the lever arm that comes from the brake pedal to the switch. It took a few attempts to get it right.
Regards
Dave