Author Topic: Another tank question.  (Read 436 times)

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Another tank question.
« on: 07 August, 2017, 17:36:48 »
My 1972 OIF Thunderbolt has the right shape tank, but unlike every other one I have seen. It only has one thin chrome trim from front to back. It also has a round trim at point of fixing which joins the trim. It came out of the factory green. Could it be a Bonnie Tank or similar. The bike was made in late 1971 and registered 1972. Thanks.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Another tank question.
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2017, 18:51:05 »
Does it look like this Thunderbolt tank?

It is from the 1972 brochure.

Its the 4 gallon tank.
« Last Edit: 07 August, 2017, 19:06:38 by JulianS »

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2017, 19:14:03 »
Hi,
    The 1971 parts books shows 2 possible tanks. Plate 19 shows the different trim and centre tank fixings used.

The 1972 parts book gives a 21/2 (83-2262 probably export) and a 4 (83-4316) gallon tank. Also with  plate 19 also showing different trim and centre tanks fixings.

1970 petrol tank (83-226) for L T FS, the other (83-2881), L T was for home and general export.

1971 for L T only

1971 Paint colours in book given as Bronze, White Bottom or Bronze or Stirling Moss or Sterling Moss, White Bottom

1972 Paint colours in book given as Firebird Red or  Estruscan bronze or Chromed, Firebird Red with  White lining

Best wishes...
« Last Edit: 07 August, 2017, 19:32:42 by Bess »

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2017, 15:50:17 »
Julian and Bess, many thanks for reply. Debating whether to get my tank cleaned out inside which is awful and get it resprayed or buy a new tank. Have not been able to find that slim chrome trim that goes down the centre of the tank, it is about 1/4" wide.

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2017, 20:22:52 »

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2017, 17:07:41 »
Bess you are a star, thanks mate.

Greybeard

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2017, 18:42:44 »
Debating whether to get my tank cleaned out inside which is awful and get it resprayed or buy a new tank.

It's well worth the effort to clean out the tank properly A10JWO. I've done a few now - it's messy, often totally contrary to H&S  ::), but you end up with a tank as good as new inside and ready for treating - I use POR15 as a final treatment as it's ethanol resistant unlike the old fashioned Petseal which by now will have turned to tar-like sludge in every tank it was put in (I understand the latest version is much better).
If you're anywhere near East Yorks I could give you a hand/pointers to do do it.
Briefly it involves a very strong caustic soda wash-out with a bit of gravel/nuts to halp knock any claggy bits off. Worth having a watering can handy to wash off any splashes that might get on the paintwork if you need to keep it as it is. You need to remove the petrol taps and blanl off the holes - unless you're replacing the taps of course
Once thats done it's job after an hour or two, rinse the tank out thoroughly. Then you need the magic potion. I use a phosphoric acid based cleaner that I get locally from Multex Chemicals under the trade name of Jebsol but there'll be others available. Mixed at 1 to 4 with water I fill the tank right up to the neck and leave it at least overnight to bubble and squeak away. As if by magic, by the morning all the rust will have dissolved leaving a brand new looking tank. The beauty of the phosphoric acid cleaner is that it's kinder to steel and won't eat its way through like hydrochloric acid will, though that does act much more quickly - it's quite nasty too  ;)
If there are any stubborn bits in the tank then leaving it another 24 hours won't hurt it.
Once you're happy with it, it needs a good rinse and a dry as quick as you can to prevent any further rust forming. A hair dryer of heat gun helps. After that it's simply a question of pouring in a tin of POR15, which is similar to Hammerite in appearance, swilling it around the tank to ensure an even coat, tipping out the excess and sitting back letting it dry/cure for a few days.

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

bikerbob

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:32:17 »
You could have a look at the products supplied by Tank Care Products I have used them and find them to be excellent. I think the website address is www.tankcareproducts.co.uk

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2017, 15:51:39 »
Thanks lads. I am enjoying this restoration. I just had an email from a guy who services engines for British Airways. He has offered to clean my cylinder head and hubs FOC with aqua-blasting, happy days. It's not what you know.  ;D