Author Topic: Scruffy Conical Hubs  (Read 204 times)

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Scruffy Conical Hubs
« on: 05 August, 2017, 16:55:33 »
I want to tidy up the hubs before the new rims and S/S spokes go on. I am not building a show bike. The back hub seems to have come out of the factory painted black and the front is bare
 aluminium. I have thought about blasting and powder coating, I am open to constructive advice from the members. Many thanks. 

Greybeard

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Scruffy Conical Hubs
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2017, 21:30:06 »
Vapour blasting gives a nice finish. Done with glass beads/water it closes up the pores in the surface and polishes it which reduces its ability to collect the muck so cleaning is easy. Powder coating looks ok when first done but if the preparation isnt top notch corrosion can soon get underneath and make it flake/crack. Once that happens it all gets to look scruffy again rather quickly. Same goes for clear lacquer on an ali surface. Wouldnt do for it to look like a jap crankcase would it?  ;)
If you do want em in black then I would go with a single fairly thin coating such as engine paint which lasts very well and would be easier to touch up.

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

A10 JWO

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2017, 15:26:37 »
Thanks Greybeard, I knew I would get a reply from the A10 A 7 Forum. Good sound advice.

Ken Oaff

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2017, 21:04:47 »
got a similar issue with grey coating on my 71 hubs

going to get them stripped somehow and polish them