Author Topic: Fitting of M20/21 girder forks to a late A10 frame  (Read 1930 times)

robin smith

• Star
    • View Profile
Fitting of M20/21 girder forks to a late A10 frame
« on: 02 August, 2017, 16:45:48 »
Is possible to fit M20 girder forks to a late A10 frame? If the answer is yes!

Does anyone have any experience of carrying out this unlikely mating. If so, what if any, modifications are required to either.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to this? “Don‘t ask”   

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting of M20/21 girder forks to a late A10 frame
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2017, 18:30:03 »
I replaced the teles on an M21 with WM20  girders (in my defence I was only 16 and thought they looked more groovy). I had no problem. As headstock bearings are advertised as fitting A10 and M20 teles I guess the girders should fit, assuming headstock lengths are near enough the same.

Go on, I told you why I did it, now spill the beans ;)
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2017, 13:55:50 »
 :)
I've got a much better idea---------Sell me the girder forks.

But seriously It cant be that difficult with a bit of sideways thinking. "out of the box" whatever that means.

Mike 8)

Trev

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2017, 17:50:38 »
Is possible to fit M20 girder forks to a late A10 frame?
As you can see it can be done. If you want details of what was involved visit the website http://laurence.swain.me.uk/index.html

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2017, 18:59:47 »
I can see why someone would want to fit girders - that bike looks so right, Trev. Only thing is you've set me of wondering about my B31 now  ::)
Perhaps a hand gear change linkage too  ;)

Steve

PS I enjoyed looking through your website. I shall be paying another visit or two. You passed very close to me when you ventured North over the Humber Bridge. I presume you got through the Yorkshire border control point without too much difficulty  :)
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

Trev

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2017, 19:39:32 »
PS I enjoyed looking through your website. I shall be paying another visit or two. You passed very close to me when you ventured North over the Humber Bridge. I presume you got through the Yorkshire border control point without too much difficulty
No, no, Greybeard, I am not he. Laurence is a mate of mine. Actually it is sometime since I have had any contact with him. The word on the grape vine is that he no longer rides his bikes, but he still has them.