Author Topic: A10 Dynamo belt-drive conversion and Rodark panniers  (Read 4886 times)

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
A10 Dynamo belt-drive conversion and Rodark panniers
« on: 01 August, 2017, 16:57:28 »
Hello, folks.
I'm gradually working my way through my recently acquired 1952 A10 so that it can become a long-legged tourer  :) When I got her she was still on side-car gearing and the speedo was showing 10mph fast. Great for the ego, but not for the frenetic revs. I eventually tracked down a UK made solo rear drum with 42T sprocket to replace the dustbin lid sized 49T one and whilst I was at it I replaced the 19T gearbox sprocket with a 21T. She now runs very serenely at a genuine 60mph, though I must admit that when I bought the sprocket I hadn't realised the the engine/gearbox unit had to come out of the frame to get at the beggar  :-[ The speedo now shows up to 5mph slow at 50-60 but is around 2mph fast at 30 - which is fine if you know about it  ;)
As the engine is now spinning more slowly I have a mind to fit a belt drive conversion to the dynamo from dynamoregulators.com (I will retain the 6v system which already has an electronic regulator) which does gear up the dynamo and increases output at lower engine revs. Has anyone fitted one of these and if so, what's your opinion on the 'silence' of it?
I'm currently in the process of fitting a set of Rodark panniers to her (very good fibreglass replicas from Craven/Draganfly) - they are now sprayed a matching gold and hardening in the conservatory. I will be lacquering them in the morning, weather permitting.
Other jobs that will be undertaken in due course is replacement of the suspension springs F/R with sidecar weight jobbies as she will spend much of her life 2-up, a tapered head-race conversion and assorted stainless steel bits such as axles/nuts/bolts, Devon rims etc. Most will be done over the winter. For now she'll be ridden pretty much as is. She has been restored at some point, to a good standard and has mellowed a bit so looks used but loved.
We've not been together for too long, but I'm already growing very fond of this old girl.

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A10 Dynamo belt-drive conversion and Rodark panniers
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2017, 19:30:18 »
Hi Greybeard,
                     Lovely looking machine.... :)

Regards....

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2017, 20:06:17 »
Been using the DVR belt drive for a few years. Its a nice item and easy to remove both the pulleys. No chain rattle either. Would not go back to a chain.

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2017, 20:50:19 »
Thanks for that, JulianS. If you've used it for that long I'm guessing that you've not noticed any tendency for the dynamo to wear out more quickly  :) It's also reassuring to hear that you wouldn't revert to a chain driven arrangement.

Thanks too, Bess, for your comments

Steve
Steve from East Yorkshire - Not the Greybeard of the A7/A10 forum who was not actually registered on this one when I signed up ;-)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2017, 20:55:23 »
Abandoned chain drive back in the 1990s, tried several types, but DVR the best. Small pinion pulls off with a manual mag pinion puller which is so much easier than trying to remove the chain sprocket, large pinion pulls of with a timing cover screw through the threaded hole and just a touch of heat again so much easier than pulling the chain pinion. Have had no dynamo problems just changes of brushes.

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2017, 09:52:25 »
DVR it has to be then.
Thanks, JulianS

Steve

Trev

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2017, 10:35:12 »
tried several types, but DVR the best.
I agree, the best there is.

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2017, 18:32:01 »
Lovely looking bike Greybeard and the Roadarcs will be bazzin when painted to match the bike.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2017, 18:48:02 »
Thanks, Dean.
The panniers are now resplendent in gold, well, Valspar E1610 - quaintly named metallic beige by the supplier. Im rather pleased with them. Ill give em a few days to harden before refitting them but I will post a pic of the progress.

As for the dynamo drive belt conversion. Thanks for the recommendations, chaps. It has been ordered today - along with a pair of front numberplates. A bike just don't look finished without em  ;)

Steve

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2017, 16:29:53 »
Here you go. Does my bum look big in these?  :)

Steve

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2017, 18:14:11 »
Fantastic job Greybeard they are decidedly the kippers knees.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Doink

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2017, 15:56:34 »
Hi Greybeard great looking bike
i run a 1952 golden flash with a DVR belt drive conversion very Quiet and maintenance free
it looks like you have a concentric carb on yours do you happen to know the main jet, needle jet sizes etc for yours as im thinking of fitting a concentric to mine
cheers  :)   

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2017, 21:46:36 »
Thanks, Doink.
The belt conversion arrived this morning actually. Tomorrow's forecast is typically summery with rain all day so it might get fitted if there aint too many chores to do  ::)
The concentric was on when i got the bike. It looks like a new carb. Without stripping it I dont know the jet sizes. It does run very cleanly but im not keen on the appearance. When i can justify another 300 quid i was going to order a new original type amal, though a monobloc is only around 170.  I fitted a new monobloc from amal to my 53 Matchless G9 and it was set up perfectly straight out of the box.
There isnt a lot of room above the carb top with the concentric but having spoken to a very helpful chap at amal (excellent folk to deal with) it seems that the concentric is no taller than either of the others.
Im sure if you rang them theyd be happy to help out.

Steve

Doink

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:35:11 »
thanks Greybeard
good luck with the Weather/belt drive installation  :)
and thanks for the info i will give Amal a call
cheers

Greybeard

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2017, 20:09:49 »
Well, the belt is on and quite frankly, I'm amazed at the difference. The engine is almost eerie in it's mechanical silence. The dynamo chain was pretty well knackered and very slack, mind you. The old GF now makes my modern Bonnie sound like a tin can of nuts and bolts  :o Having said that, it is a Triumph so what do you expect?  ;)

Steve (wot's now had continuous rain since about 2am and still no sign of a let-up. Summer? My arris!)