Author Topic: Twin leading shoes  (Read 212 times)

Pippinz

• Star
    • View Profile
Twin leading shoes
« on: 30 July, 2017, 11:14:22 »
Getting there but need some more help please.

Can the cams be put in the wrong way around ?

Which way do the shoes go in ?

Does any one have a photo of the shoes correctly installed. I have found a few dubious installations and think the brakes be in a similar vein.

I have read about adjustments and the one that made sense to me was to disconnect the link and ensure the shoes were centered, flip the disc and offer up the link bar. If it does not offer up in the correct position it needs adjusting. This seems simple compared to some of articles I have read but this should also ensure both are applied at the same time. Thoughts please!

My other issue is the spongy lever is this because it's installed incorrectly? The lever looks genuine so I expect the travel to be as designed so I'm guessing I will start by finding a cable that will not compress or stretch to see if this is the culprit. Does anyone have the part number for the cable ( 69 thunderbolt ) and recommend a supplier of decent cables.

Many thanks

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Twin leading shoes
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2017, 12:42:13 »
Look at the photo to see the way the cam and shoes are assembled. This brake has had the wide flange machined off.

So curved side of cam to the shoe.

My preferred method of adjusting the tie rod is the same as from the factory workshop manual;

With rod disconnected ensure the flat end of the cam rests on the foot of the shoes.

Turn plate over and fit tie rod adjusting length as necessary and after tightening the locknut check the cam is still in position as above.

Once set it is best to leave the rod adjustment as the shoes will bed in. Change the adjustment they will have to bed in again.

Adjust cable so that the shoes are just not rubbing when you spin the wheel.

Yes the brake does feel spongy. At rest you can sometimes pull the lever right up to the handlebar, but when moving the shoes slide and the brake feels much better and is quite powerful. Pull it back to the bars in motion not recommended you will end up over bars and onto road.

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2017, 12:57:42 »
Hi,
    I recently bought from Venhill, items seem to be competitively priced and of good quality:

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-amp-components/fittings-amp-components.html

Best wishes...

Pippinz

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2017, 13:28:24 »
The wheel is off so I will check the shoes are in the right way round, the cams are fitted correctly from memory. 

The brakes are exactly as you describe so I had taken most the slack out at rest thinking there was a problem but ended up doing something similar to a red arrows display with smoke pouring from the fron wheel after a mile or two. Thanks again, this site and its members are brilliant.

Whilst at the road side letting them cool I had two other classic bikes stop to offer assistance and got into other conversations with a couple walking their dogs. One of the nicest brake downs I've ever had.

Thanks