Author Topic: Bsa A10 ariel hubs  (Read 1673 times)

DEREKANDERSON8

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Bsa A10 ariel hubs
« on: 05 February, 2017, 20:03:07 »
I managed to pickup front and rear Ariel hubs for A10 today at SCRMC autojumble, what are members opinion on these as opposed to the Bsa fw hubs, I will have to get them built up into wheels before i can use. I always thought the Ariel hubs looked quite good. thanks derek

ANDY HIGHAM

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: Bsa A10 ariel hubs
« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2017, 20:26:49 »
The Ariel hubs are lighter than the BSA full width hubs, better looking and have a superior adjustment method

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2017, 08:29:46 »
Derek,
Just twigged your name on here!  I posted your fork sliders (I'm mallardandcarpet on Ebay) on Saturday - and the minute I walked out of the Post Office - I thought 'I should have messaged you - to ask if you were going to the Haggis Gathering'.  I picked up a couple of goodies there too - but not much!
Hope you get on okay with your Ariel Hub, some say they are not the most efficient brakes - but in good condition and well adujsted, they should do a decent job (nice wide shoe and drum).  I have one on the back and it feels and works fine.
I have one for sale just now as I went with the 8" FW front.  Watch what spoke pattern you get for that hub - I made the mistake of not realising the WM2 wheels came with a bunch of different patterns (1x1, 2x2, 3x1? etc).  Ironically I just sold a brand new central wheels rim for half the price it cost me (ended up with quite a few spares by making this kind of mistake a few times)!  By the way - don't think those sliders you bought will go with the Ariel hub/7" brake!
Anyhoo Let us know how you get on.  Look forward to bumping into you at some random event north of the border.  Why don't you stick something up telling us about your project - it's good to hear what others are doing and have planned.

Best regards Raymond.

bikerbob

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2017, 15:10:23 »
You do need the correct front sliders for the Ariel front hub these have a 1" dia hole at the bottom and from memory I think the rear swinging arm is also different. The bearings in the Ariel hubs are 1" internal dia whereas the A10 hubs have 7/8" internal dia bearings.

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2017, 17:00:42 »
Must have been a few of us at the Haggis Bash. The Ariel hub brakes are reckoned to be no better than the BSA 8" full width ones. Not very good then. The advantage of the BSA full width one is that you can fit a TLS brake plate as I have done. There are a couple of things to watch for - see the relevant thread.   

DEREKANDERSON8

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2017, 17:18:45 »
Derek,
Just twigged your name on here!  I posted your fork sliders (I'm mallardandcarpet on Ebay) on Saturday - and the minute I walked out of the Post Office - I thought 'I should have messaged you - to ask if you were going to the Haggis Gathering'.  I picked up a couple of goodies there too - but not much!
Hope you get on okay with your Ariel Hub, some say they are not the most efficient brakes - but in good condition and well adujsted, they should do a decent job (nice wide shoe and drum).  I have one on the back and it feels and works fine.
I have one for sale just now as I went with the 8" FW front.  Watch what spoke pattern you get for that hub - I made the mistake of not realising the WM2 wheels came with a bunch of different patterns (1x1, 2x2, 3x1? etc).  Ironically I just sold a brand new central wheels rim for half the price it cost me (ended up with quite a few spares by making this kind of mistake a few times)!  By the way - don't think those sliders you bought will go with the Ariel hub/7" brake!
Anyhoo Let us know how you get on.  Look forward to bumping into you at some random event north of the border.  Why don't you stick something up telling us about your project - it's good to hear what others are doing and have planned.

Hi Raymond, I had a stall yesterday in the main hall, with the heating on! You probably walked past, i was against the wall with a friends dog rough TS250 Suzuki for sale. It gets you in earlier and means you can have a root about for bargains. I saw a lovely Moto Guzzi 4LS front wheel for sale i thought it was cheap at 180 but i didn't buy it.

I am in 2 minds what to do with the A10 i have the roadholders and managed to get an alloy top yoke to suit them (i spoke about this in another post) or use your bottoms (excuse the term!) and keep it std as i have a reasonable front wheel. I have an A65 bitsa cafe racer thing that has Triumph/Bsa front end with TLS that could also be an option.

The Ariel hubs are lighter than the BSA full width hubs, better looking and have a superior adjustment method

Thanks Andy, i have always liked them and the prices have always been reasonable, i will have to get them built up and from what Raymond says i might put them in to somebody else to get done.

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2017, 08:29:15 »
Derek, I guess that was a missed opportunity - I did wander round the heated hall a couple of time (I had my wife with me and thought it better to hang it out in the warmer area) - so must have looked at your stall many times.  I might keep an eye open for the next autojumble - I could have filled a table no bother with the bits I have left over.
Great that you have options - I don't think I did enough research when building mine - I was lucky that I had enough bits though that I had a complete front end.  Like I say, matching fork legs, spindles and wheel patterns needs done - dispite it not looking like there are obvoius differences.
I think the ariel front hub needs a WM2 type wheel with 1x1 dimples and the standard 8" FW is a 3x1 if I remember correctly.
You should have a go your self first!  My immediate thought was hand this to a builder - however most ask for offsets and what have you - and there lies another art.  I got the bits together laced the wheels and trued and centred them on the bike (as recommended on here somewhere) - I got a wheel builder just to tension them and do a final true up with the offsets I'd put on.  Same goes for the hub and brake.  the ariel hub is pretty easy to clean up and the brake mechanisms are dead easy to service.

Cheers Raymond.

DEREKANDERSON8

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2017, 19:04:40 »
Shame i missed out on that rim! I think there is a small autojumble at the Scottish Bike Show at Ingliston but dont think its got many stalls, a better bet might be the Ayr Classic show in June i think, we all got flyers handed out about that one. Its good to get rid of stuff you dont need and its quite a good laugh if you dont take it too seriously.

I have rebuilt wheels before and if i can get the rims and spokes i will have a go again, need to get the offsets from a kind member though!  ;)

cheers

derek