Author Topic: B33 Gearbox casing clutch Arm grease nipple  (Read 1931 times)

IanP

• Star
    • View Profile
B33 Gearbox casing clutch Arm grease nipple
« on: 22 July, 2017, 14:26:51 »
Having recently purchased a 1955 BSA which is an A7 frame with a B33 engine fitted I am in the process of "tidying up".The grease nipple for the clutch arm was missing so I have replaced it but having no joy getting grease in I have stripped and removed the arm from the outer casing and it appears that the brass bushing in the case is a solid tube so that the grease cannot get between the bush and the shaft.was this a a later adaptation or should there be an access hole in the sleeve? Can a hole be drilled and what size ?
Cheers Ian

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: B33 Gearbox casing clutch Arm grease nipple
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2017, 14:59:35 »
Originally the clutch arm ran directly in the aluminium alloy casting. They wear and people bush them. Whoever bushed yours chose not to bore it to allow grease through.

You need to carefully drill it.

How did you manage to fit a B33 engine in an A7 frame? Has the frame got a kink in lower frame tube to clear the B33 oil pump bulge?

IanP

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2017, 16:18:45 »
Thanks Julian will try and rig it in my pillar drill and drill through the threaded hole with a drill bit smaller than the hole ,as for the fitting of the engine it was already in the frame when I bought it . The engine No starts BM33 and the frame No starts CA7 and the indicated year of manufacture is 1955 .Ive attached a picture of the bike

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2017, 16:57:55 »
Looks very nice.

IanP

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July, 2017, 19:01:16 »
have drilled and got got grease flowing thank you again Julian and as for the frame around the sump the tubing has been flattened on the inner side and shaped around the sump so it goes from round tube to half round and back to round tube so that the frame rail resembles the original B33 frame. I am presuming that the rail must have been cut and the piece fabricated then welded into place

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2017, 21:11:10 »
The grease nipple is largely useless, plenty oil works its way up the shaft and a dribble usually escapes out of the top