Author Topic: Sloper  (Read 2607 times)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Sloper
« on: 17 July, 2017, 14:04:15 »
 :) :)

Greetings . There is a 1931?? Sloper De Luxe for sale on Ebay.

Within my totally limited knowledge and experience it appears to be relatively up together, by that its obviously somewhat incomplete.

The asking is £5500. (they spurned my offer of £4000?????????)

Seriously any thoughts on this would be really appreciated. So what do you reckon.

Mike 8)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Sloper
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2017, 17:48:22 »
I can't find it on Ebay Mike but if it's all there and in decent condition then given classic price rises in recent years they are asking what I'd expect.
Indeed, if its road worthy and got V5 etc its not an outrageous price by today's standards
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2017, 18:00:19 »
Found it now.
I'd want to look carefully as parts are getting scarce and expensive.
But in the end its what its worth to you. As with all restorations, it will cost a damned sight more than it will be worth!

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2017, 20:54:28 »
  Hi Dean. Thanks for your input and indeed echoing my thoughts. As you say with V5 etc then it would be a yes. But in its apparent condition I reckon its anything up to 1K over.

Looking at what is available in parts I don't think that there would be much change out of a lot of money to "do the biz". The cost of resto is always a seriously wild card. (Actual resto of my A50 is almost twice the initial price. Not difficult to see where it goes pair of rebuilt wheels with tyres and tubes £650+ just for starters)

Still that is only comment not complaint.

.So that could well see the finished article properly done at not much less than £10K. That's a lot more than my beer allowance for a whole month.

Take care. Good to hear from you. I might yet take on that trike.

Mike 8)

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:39:18 »
Mike
Good luck mate if you do decide to take on the sloper, I know that the cost of resttoring to a roadworthy condition can take up a lot of cash and in the end you wonder if it was worth it, when you can buy a restored one for less than it cost to restore one.
Thanks for the foot rest mate, received last week, I'm not sure if I can get the weld undone but will try. :)

TTJohn

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:52:05 »
Hi..

Only thing I can suggest is to cut through close up to the footrest then drill it through from the "pedal" side to get the size right>

Mike 8)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2017, 17:41:03 »
Not intending to dampen your enthusiasm Mike but it took me three years to find a piston (any piston) for my Sloper. So be prepared for a long project!

PS anyone know who/how I can get the stripped headstock thread repaired on my Sloper >:(

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2017, 20:22:45 »
 :)

Hi agen. Thanks for that good to have someone confirm what I was thinking.

Much against my will??? I have already decided that its not for me. Maybe at 1K less I would seriously consider it. I don't really want to tie up that sort of cash. It was a see it/want it whim and not with my sensible head on. Or at least sensibleish.

Pistons should not be toooooo much a prob in the overall scheme of things having them made is not overweaningly expensive.

As I'm not familiar with your headstock I can only offer general thought. If its an internal thread have your own insert made and welded in. If its external take it to someone who rebuilds cranks and ask if they will run metal on then machine it to size and thread it. Or external: run brass on it and carefully file/work it as round as pos and cut your own thread. Not perfect but how many times will it be done up and undone.

Mike 8)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2017, 21:09:00 »
Thanks for the tips Mike. Its external and at the moment I'm thinking of getting a new tube threaded to replace the current one or, as you suggest, getting it metal sprayed and the thred re-cut.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2017, 22:27:31 »
 :)

)Hi Dean.

Something you could try that we did several years ago in a very similar situation.

Get a longish piece of round bar about a max of 1.5mm (1/16") greater diameter than the ID of your stock. I think I used a length of EN16.
Have long taper machined onto one end from approx. your ID minus about 2mm with approx. 75mm length.

Now take a Oxy/Act torch and heat the first 5 or 6mm red hot, insert your taper and hammer it into the heated section. Heat the next 5or 6 mm and repeat, continue until you have got the full OD of your bar in to the length of your thread. With a great deal of care you can 'stretch' the OD of you head stock enough to rethread it. You may get away with just a 1mm oversize bar. I suppose you would have to judge that from the state of your existing thread.

I know this will 'thin' the wall but not I think to a significant or dangerous extent.

As its already cream crackered I don't guess you have much to lose by trying it. Perhaps you would care to let us know if you give it a go.

Mike ::)