Author Topic: Newbie first classic advise  (Read 308 times)

John

• Star
    • View Profile
Newbie first classic advise
« on: 29 June, 2017, 19:34:07 »
Good evening
New to forum going to look at a a65 lighting tomorrow 1966
This will be my first classic it's had engine rebuild last year new valves and seats
As a single carb conversion
Any advise please

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
Re: Newbie first classic advise
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2017, 06:47:03 »
Take someone who knows classic bikes with you.

Bess

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:01:24 »
Hi,
    In my experience; if you are not already a good all round engineer, start training, if you are not rich, start saving and when you start riding do it defensively. You will end up knowing everything but destitute, otherwise you will enjoy the experience and meet good people who will stay life long friends.

Best wishes ;) ;)

Pippinz

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2017, 00:32:37 »
I have already found this site invaluable and there are some very knowledgeable people willing to help.

In my first few weeks of ownership I now take nothing for granted having seen some poor workmanship but there is nothing that can't be fixed, well almost everything.

Good luck should you decide to purchase one.

JAMES_FANNING

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2017, 08:42:00 »
Some words of encouragement for you on the A65 Lightning. Back in '71 when an impoverished student and having just passed the test on a newly bought BSA Gold Star 250 single , sought something a bit more powerful for daily transport and bought a well used '67 Lightning. With 15,000 miles on the clock it ran well enough (with loud megaphone silencers fitted) but had clearly enjoyed shall we say minimal maintenance under previous owners , although being a complete novice on bike mechanics at the time this only became apparent gradually over the course of its ownership with me.

During the six months I had the bike before changing it for a Commando it was my only source of transport and in all the 5,000 odd miles I covered it never let me down once apart from one puncture on a knackered rear tyre which would never have got through an MOT had this been due during my half year ownership.
The only maintenance I performed on the Lightning was periodic rear chain adjustment and lubrication plus one change of engine , gearbox and primary drive oils , valve clearance adjustment and a new set of plugs. It always started first or second kick. On selling the bike the new owner , who did know a lot about bikes and gave it the once over , told me it had been running on two different size main jets in each of the Amal concentric carbs.

After a lifetime of riding British bikes of various makes (five Beezas and twelve bikes in all, of which still own six) I came to the conclusion my '67 Lightning was a really robust and reliable bike capable of keeping going under minimal care and attention. Today's BSA member of my collection is a '62 A10 Rocket Gold Star which I absolutely love to ride.