Author Topic: Aftermarket oil filter  (Read 5134 times)

Caulky

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Aftermarket oil filter
« on: 18 April, 2017, 12:05:52 »
I did a few web searches about oil filters for our old bikes.
Specifically for which line, inlet or return.
I have already bought a Champion filter.
Depending on the bike manufacture, there is confusion!
Most say the filter is in the return, but others say the feed.
Confused?
The ones that say the feed-line, explain that the return is pulsing and aerated, which can damage the filter material.
The others for the return, say nothing should be in the feed side.
So how about my OIF A65L?

Additionally, this bike was fitted with an oil cooler. (U.S. import)
Is this rerquired for here in the UK?

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket oil filter
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2017, 14:33:13 »
I have inline filters fitted to both my A7 swinging arm model and my 1963 A65 both are connected to the return side with no problems. I sold my last 1957 A10 about 3-4 years ago and it had an inline filter fitted for the 16 years that I had it and I met the person who I sold it to last year and it is still running Ok. I always belived that they should be fitted to the return side of the pump.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2017, 14:58:05 »
I have used a return side filter on my swinging arm A10 for over 20 years.

No problems encountered.

The only issue being finding one compact enough and easy to fit. Started with a Rocket 3 type in a long cannister for which I could not find an appropriate space to fit which would allow easy replacement of the element.

Then went to a Norton type which fitted in tool box, it was bulky and relied on jubilee clips to secure the long oil line.

Now on a compact Morgo type.

I would be very reluctant to fit anything in the feed line which might impede the flow of oil into the engine.

Caulky

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2017, 15:19:20 »
Thanks chaps, return it is :)

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2017, 15:25:08 »
Hi Caulky,

Help you decide here's my thoughts:

Mine (A65) are fitted on the return, because the supplier said so, no problems so far. Normally a pressure differential indicator or bypass system is used for filters in the suction side. The best position is directly after the oil pump if that's possible.

Be aware some filters have a inbuilt non-return, an over pressure (bypass) system and will need careful installation for obvious reasons.

An air to oil cooler, the  cooler will only work when air is passing through the fins, so there's a need to be moving at speed. That's why they are normally fitted in front of the water radiator in the fan air stream.

Best wishes...

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2017, 07:03:27 »

Don't fit one which relies on jubilee clips to hold the oil pipes. Don't ask...

bobandbec

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2017, 23:38:40 »
All three of my bikes (A10,50,65) have the Norton type filters fitted which use clips for attaching the pipes. I couldn't get jubilee clips to tighten without slipping so got some clips which rely on two nuts with a bolt to tighten. Not sure what they are called, like jubilee but much better.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:46:13 »
Hi,
    Further to the discussion regarding hose clips, maybe this type?

http://amalcarb.co.uk/fuel-hose-clip-15-17mm.html

Best wishes...

malzstx

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2017, 17:45:05 »
I have a remote oil filter on my Super Rocket......I was advised by a member it MUST be fitted to the return as the flow may starve the mains and big end bearings..... works great and good return to oil tank.

Richard Mills

• Blue Star
  • B33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2017, 18:21:23 »
Regarding the comments on the Norton oil filters (I presume the Commando type), they had straight/smooth inlet and outlet pipes onto which the flexible pipes are fitted. Recently, however, Andover Norton have changed the design to barbed pipes.

Ken Oaff

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July, 2017, 06:04:25 »
re Norton commando filter heads with smooth pipes

have fitted these to a variety of bikes over the years and never had any issues with them or with using hoseclamps to affix oil lines

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July, 2017, 15:34:18 »
Return side every time! On the feed side it would be relying on atmospheric pressure to get it through the filter. That doesnt sound unreasonable until the breather at the top of the frame tube gets blocked!!!
I've had one on the OIF Thunderbolt for years and never had any problems with oil returning or pipes coming off.
Re the oil cooler. The OIF frame was originally designed to have oil in the full tube, i.e. to the steering head with the filler cap behind the steering head. This would have given a decent amount of oil for circulation and also, with the top part being under the petrol tank, the cooler fuel may have provided a bit of cooler air around it. However, the story goes that the powers that be at Slumberglade decided it looked ugly and came up with pathetic excuses like owners may put petrol in there by mistake and emulsification of oil would cause internal corrosion at a vital stress area, so the designers were told to move it to the top bend and therefore not only reducing the capacity drastically but leaving what little oil left to get a nice blast of hot air from the engine. The designer involved (cant remember his name) called them the Oiler Boiler frames from then on.
As such, some owners fitted an oil cooler but there is a debate as to whether these are really necessary. I would suggest, next time you do a long trip on a really hot day, check the oil temperature with a thermometer and then decide. I personally don't think its a good idea, unless you live in a hot climate, as on cool days or in winter, the oil won't reach a decent temperature and therefore keep the engine cooler than the ideal.
Just my opinions of course.
Chris