Author Topic: Painting rims.  (Read 406 times)

chrisgoodwin

• Star
    • View Profile
Painting rims.
« on: 25 June, 2017, 21:33:05 »
Hi all, some more advice needed I'm afraid.
The B31 strip down is going well, most of the tin ware is now either painted, primed or filled and my thoughts are turning to the frame and wheels.
The frame I am going to use Tekaloid (brushed) - I make no apologies, I'm old school.
But the wheels!
The wheels are sound, galvanised spokes are fine, but the chrome is shot, I was thinking if it was possible to paint the rims while the wheel is still spoked.
It would be a short(ish) term solution, but if I can get a couple of seasons use I can defer the cost of rebuilding the wheels and allow me time to make a reasoned choice - painted, Ally, Stainless or chrome.
Has anybody painted their rims  that gave a decent finish?
I have seen so many paints on sale these days, can anyone recommend a paint that would last 18 months or so?
Thanks,
Chris

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Painting rims.
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2017, 08:47:57 »
I decided to go down that route a while ago. I got the wheels blasted just to make sure they were clean and to provide a key for the paint. I just used standard car spray paint but held some back for inevitable touch ups. No need to go overboard ..no not going for conkers. I'd get the tyres fitted by machine as mosu of the chips came when trying to get them on with levers.

Whatever you decide please, please do make sure you have cleaned the inside of the rim and checked for sharp rust or chrome flakes and fit a new rim tape. Ask my wife how much fun it is for the pillion when the corroded rim slices the inner tube at 60mph on a downhill stretch of a busy road  >:( :-[

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2017, 19:25:04 »
Hi Dean :)

OK I'll ask her whats her email address.

Mike 8)

DEAN SOUTHALL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2017, 15:42:32 »
Hi Dean :)

OK I'll ask her whats her email address.

Mike 8)
;D
its   irma-gonner@bloodybsas.omg

Mike Farmer

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2017, 16:33:42 »
 :)

Bril LOL

mike ;D