Author Topic: C15 Charging system  (Read 639 times)

TSSWINDERBY

• Star
    • View Profile
C15 Charging system
« on: 19 June, 2017, 16:47:07 »
Hi
My C15 which I bought as a non runner is now up and running but I am not sure it is charging. The ammeter needle fluctuates from charging to non charging but a voltmeter across the battery only shows battery voltage, but I am not sure if that is a reliable test on a bike. There is a small solid state unit bolted near the coil with three wires connected plus an earth which I take to be a rectifier, but grateful for any advise on what it could be and how to check the charging system reliably, it is still 6V.
Many thanks  Tom. 

TTJOHN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: C15 Charging system
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:24:02 »
Tom.
Try with the lights on, that way you can see if it's charging, if the ammeter is working that is, that way you will see a discharge with the lights on but it should come up to a charge reading when you rev the bike, your quite correct the square rectifier is under the seat with three wires, four connections.
If you have recently fitted a new alternator make sure you have clearance between that & the rotor, many folks have burnt out alternators by not checking this.

TTJohn 

TSSWINDERBY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2017, 22:43:04 »
Many thanks for that I will try it with the headlight on, I have not disturbed  the alternator it is as I bought the bike but most other things I have checked have needed repairing so the charging system will probably be the same. Should you expect to see the battery voltage increase with revs when the bike is revved up ? Is the rectifier a standard fit or a modern replacement ?
Many thanks again for the advise     Tom.

TTJOHN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2017, 08:21:22 »
The square rectifier you have on your C15 is a replacement solid state one, which are very good and usually work fine, the original ones were bigger, curcular, with three connections. Depending on the condition of the battery is whether it will show a charge on the ammeter, if the battery is down then it will show more of a charge, ifthe battery is good then it will not show a lot.

Regards TTJohn

TSSWINDERBY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2017, 19:05:04 »
Very many thanks for your help, I will investigate further now that I know that is the rectifier.
Thanks again Tom.

paulm

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2017, 11:47:07 »
Hi
how many wires come from the Alternator and how do they conect to the rectifier, ?

ANDY HIGHAM

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2017, 17:25:59 »
The charging circuit on these bikes is a bit sus. Two of the alternator windings charge the battery, the other four are switched in when the lights are on, there is no regulation. The ammeter is about as much use as a carpet fitters ladder.
The best thing you can do is fit the reg/rec from a jap bike (most will do but not oil cooled Suzukis, Yamaha xs1100 and a few others) disconnect the AC wires from the original rectifier and connect to two of the three yellow wires on the reg/rec. red from reg/rec to + black to -. Ideally disconnect the two ac wires that go to the light switch and join them together

TSSWINDERBY

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2017, 20:56:54 »
Many thanks for the information, away for a few weeks will report further when I get back
Thanks again    Tom.